Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

who thinks we should boycott stores open on thanksgiving for early sales?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone should boycott stores opening on Thursday for Black Friday. I understand that those people that work on retail do need to do their job, but this is just ridiculous.

I thought opening at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning was extreme! Now a lot of stores are opening all day Thanksgiving!

People that work retail get two days off in the holiday season, Thanksgiving & Christmas. That's it. Usually they are working until midnight the night before the holidays, and showing up at 5 am the next day. Those are usually the two days they can count to see (local) family, going out of state is out of the question.

So can someone please help me make one of those chain email things that we can pass around Facebook and inboxes, so maybe these big companies will get the message!

Thanksgiving is for family, not consumerism!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (151-160):
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Walmart employees only get Christmas day off. They used to close the store at 10 pm Thanksgiving day, and reopen on Black Friday for all the sales.

I think it's bullshit too what they've been doing the past couple years. I know other stores have started doing something similar too.

I don't need to boycott though. My ass always stays home and enjoy the day with my family. That's what everyone should be doing.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM
I thank all of you ladies who will be staying home!! Smaller crowds is better for me:)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM

My dad worked shift work at a paper mill when I was growing up - he always had to work Thanksgiving, I recall maybe 2 Thanksgivings where his days off worked out and he had the day off - we just moved our Thanskgiving dinner schedule around a day or two. He did it because family IS important to him - getting that double time and a half was the difference sometimes for us to even have money to buy food for Thanksgiving dinner. It's called a job people and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to support yourself and your family. Yes Thanksgiving is important, but geez come one.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:41 PM

ACTUALLY ITS NOT. SEE I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS TOO!!!

Quite a few stores opened up at 10 last year.

Quoting Anonymous:

THIS IS VERY TRUE. There are a lot stores opening for the first time this thanksgiving. I'm not sure why you think I'm lying.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

not true

Quoting Anonymous:

A lot of stores are just now opening in thanksgiving this year, so obviously no I did not.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

have you ever thought that getting together and going shopping on thanksgiving and black friday is part of their family tradition? Why boycott someone elses tradition? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm talking about the companies now opening on thanksgiving, not black Friday.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Fuck no. If they dont want to work on holidays, then they can get a job where they dont have to. I am not going to try to boycott my 2nd favorite shopping day of the year. 

Also Black friday makes these companies too much money for your little boycott to bother them.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:43 PM

you know, on second thought. the more people stay home the less I have to fight for the things I want. So go ahead and stay home OP. I am sure the people who do go shopping will appreciate one less person to tangle with.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thank all of you ladies who will be staying home!! Smaller crowds is better for me:)

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM

My job is open on Thanksgiving regardless. So don't boycott us, I don't even think we are doing special sales or anything that day.

2metalbabies
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM
One of my best friends owns the bar that I work at. There are a lot of single, older guys who have no where to go for thanksgiving, and a couple who won't have a meal that night because they eat at the bar every night. She and her boyfriend are making up a big thanksgiving meal and opening up at five to make sure those guys get dinner and in turn show her appreciation for their business all year round.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gofast_mama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I don't shop at big box stores unless there is no other option, try making someone else's holiday better and support local!

NBean311
by Chivette on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM

If that is the case, then boycott shopping at all after Thanksgiving, because truckers and diesel mechanics are working on Thanksgiving too in order to keep your stores full not just on Black Friday. 

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I refuse to go to malls on Thanksgiving weekend period.  I hate the crowds, the lack of parking, the pushing and shoving.  No thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN