Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

who thinks we should boycott stores open on thanksgiving for early sales?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone should boycott stores opening on Thursday for Black Friday. I understand that those people that work on retail do need to do their job, but this is just ridiculous.

I thought opening at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning was extreme! Now a lot of stores are opening all day Thanksgiving!

People that work retail get two days off in the holiday season, Thanksgiving & Christmas. That's it. Usually they are working until midnight the night before the holidays, and showing up at 5 am the next day. Those are usually the two days they can count to see (local) family, going out of state is out of the question.

So can someone please help me make one of those chain email things that we can pass around Facebook and inboxes, so maybe these big companies will get the message!

Thanksgiving is for family, not consumerism!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (161-169):
Nee86
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM
I refuse and have refused to go shopping on Thanksgiving or on Black Friday. Seems wrong ti me to spend Thursday being thankful for what you have and then go crazy on Friday.
emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM

no. it hurts the employees who HAVE to work that day. it's pointless, stupid, and immature

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM
So you just like to argue or what? I know for a fact that stores that were not opened last year on thanksgiving are opening this year on thanksgiving. It's not something you can argue. They didn't open last year, this year they are opening.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

ACTUALLY ITS NOT. SEE I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS TOO!!!

Quite a few stores opened up at 10 last year.

Quoting Anonymous:

THIS IS VERY TRUE. There are a lot stores opening for the first time this thanksgiving. I'm not sure why you think I'm lying.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

not true

Quoting Anonymous:

A lot of stores are just now opening in thanksgiving this year, so obviously no I did not.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

have you ever thought that getting together and going shopping on thanksgiving and black friday is part of their family tradition? Why boycott someone elses tradition? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm talking about the companies now opening on thanksgiving, not black Friday.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Fuck no. If they dont want to work on holidays, then they can get a job where they dont have to. I am not going to try to boycott my 2nd favorite shopping day of the year. 

Also Black friday makes these companies too much money for your little boycott to bother them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:12 PM
I don't shop at any stores that would be open Thursday anyway

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

you know, on second thought. the more people stay home the less I have to fight for the things I want. So go ahead and stay home OP. I am sure the people who do go shopping will appreciate one less person to tangle with.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thank all of you ladies who will be staying home!! Smaller crowds is better for me:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM
No it means they won't be open next thanksgiving. The hourly wage still gets paid, and salary isn't making any extra anyway

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

no. it hurts the employees who HAVE to work that day. it's pointless, stupid, and immature

emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM

i dont care. i think calling for people to boycott a business because you personally disagree with their practices is stupid. they have to make money too, and those employees probably appreciate the extra money in their paychecks. just my opinion

Quoting Anonymous:

No it means they won't be open next thanksgiving. The hourly wage still gets paid, and salary isn't making any extra anyway

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Oh ok, I was confused. I'm on board

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh ya I just meant actually the day of thanksgiving, not all together.

Quoting HIJKLM:

Well like I said. I won't be shopping anywhere on thanksgiving. I would support not shopping that day but I would not support boycotting the store all together.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right, but a lot of stores are just doing a 'test run' on thanksgiving this year. So most of the people working are on salary and don't get paid more. Also, those same stores will be open the next day, with the same sales. So if we put a stop to it this year, next year it will go back to normal :)

Quoting HIJKLM:

Yes but the employees selling it live right here and need their jobs

Quoting Anonymous:

Girl, all of that junk is made in China! Go China!

Quoting HIJKLM:

I won't shop on thanksgiving but I wouldn't go as far as boycotting. Our economy is bad enough right now. Boycotting a business because I think they should give their employees the day off just might do more damage than good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM

You must like to argue as well. You keep quoting me. I know for a fact that several major chain stores DID in fact open last year on Thanksgiving. Its not something that you can argue. They DID open last  year and are opening even earlier this year.

Quoting Anonymous:

So you just like to argue or what? I know for a fact that stores that were not opened last year on thanksgiving are opening this year on thanksgiving. It's not something you can argue. They didn't open last year, this year they are opening.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

ACTUALLY ITS NOT. SEE I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS TOO!!!

Quite a few stores opened up at 10 last year.

Quoting Anonymous:

THIS IS VERY TRUE. There are a lot stores opening for the first time this thanksgiving. I'm not sure why you think I'm lying.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

not true

Quoting Anonymous:

A lot of stores are just now opening in thanksgiving this year, so obviously no I did not.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

have you ever thought that getting together and going shopping on thanksgiving and black friday is part of their family tradition? Why boycott someone elses tradition? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm talking about the companies now opening on thanksgiving, not black Friday.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Fuck no. If they dont want to work on holidays, then they can get a job where they dont have to. I am not going to try to boycott my 2nd favorite shopping day of the year. 

Also Black friday makes these companies too much money for your little boycott to bother them.

LoriAnn87
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM

if you don't want to work on the holidays don't work in retail. You can boycot all you want they still will make money. Where I work I only get off one day a year and that's Christmas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN