Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

who thinks we should boycott stores open on thanksgiving for early sales?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone should boycott stores opening on Thursday for Black Friday. I understand that those people that work on retail do need to do their job, but this is just ridiculous.

I thought opening at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning was extreme! Now a lot of stores are opening all day Thanksgiving!

People that work retail get two days off in the holiday season, Thanksgiving & Christmas. That's it. Usually they are working until midnight the night before the holidays, and showing up at 5 am the next day. Those are usually the two days they can count to see (local) family, going out of state is out of the question.

So can someone please help me make one of those chain email things that we can pass around Facebook and inboxes, so maybe these big companies will get the message!

Thanksgiving is for family, not consumerism!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (21-30):
Keara20
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Ok if you're willing to do that. How about letting grocery stores close on thanksgiving in Christmas?? We have to stay open because of morons who can't buy their crap in advance and lose time with our families! Oh but its part of the job you say? So is working retail. you knew of black friday when you applied, suck it up and do your job. sometimes you have to work holidays. If you dont want to work holidays, get a job where you get weekends and holidays off
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Boycot all you want, it won't change anything. I will join the millions of others going out at 8pm on Thursday night.

Lizardannie1966
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM

They could, perhaps but instead choose to work. Sometimes employers pay time and a half if not double time for working a holiday.

It's an appeal that can't be denied.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe they could volunteer at children's hospitals or nursing homes?

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I feel for those working in retail stores that will be opening on Thanksgiving, day or night. Years and years ago, I worked retail and had to do so on holidays so I DO understand.

However, the flip side are those without families or friends to spend the day with who would actually prefer to be somewhere--even working.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM
I wouldn't want to go shopping with my belly full of the delicious food.
bright-eyes
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

so is it because its a store and they dont HAVE TO be open ?

or is the problem  that people have to work that day ?

because  there are tons of places that have to be open on thanksgiving , Christmas and every other day .

jbirdsladie27
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM
You and I both, you won't catch me in any stores on BF either...shits CRAZY!!!

Quoting workingmama86:

i know I won't be shopping. I like to spend my day with family and relaxing!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Haha yeah um no there's not. My dh did hiring until recently for a retail store and most would not accept the job. They just want applications to turn in for welfare.

Quoting msalice_21:

Really? Its their damn store. They have a roght to open whenever they want. And if those people dont want to work.. then dont. Theres millions of others who would love to take their job.
Bethsunshine
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't need to boycott because I don't shop anywhere that day.

Me either!! I don't go anywhere near a store on Black Friday or Thanksgiving. There is absolutely nothing I need that is worth fighting all those crazy people over. I will be enjoying time with my family.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I think it's ridiculous that people can't wait an extra day to save $10. Ugh

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Um okay. It doesn't matter what day I shop, the money will still go to the same place. I would rather not pay full price if I don't have to.

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course, get good deals and support Chinas economy!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not boycotting, DH will be in line at TRU Thanksgiving night ready to start at 10pm and going to several other stores. With costs rising we take advantage of good sales when we can. I'm sorry that people don't get a lot of time off in retail but that's how it goes. When I worked we were open everyday except Christmas, if I was scheduled to work then we rearranged our plans. I loved making time and a half!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured