Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

who thinks we should boycott stores open on thanksgiving for early sales?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone should boycott stores opening on Thursday for Black Friday. I understand that those people that work on retail do need to do their job, but this is just ridiculous.

I thought opening at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning was extreme! Now a lot of stores are opening all day Thanksgiving!

People that work retail get two days off in the holiday season, Thanksgiving & Christmas. That's it. Usually they are working until midnight the night before the holidays, and showing up at 5 am the next day. Those are usually the two days they can count to see (local) family, going out of state is out of the question.

So can someone please help me make one of those chain email things that we can pass around Facebook and inboxes, so maybe these big companies will get the message!

Thanksgiving is for family, not consumerism!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
AJB163
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM
No, you're asking people if we should boycott. You have no actual valid reasons. Yeah, spending time with family is important on that day... But it may be tradition to go shopping too.

I just think what you're saying is a tad bit dramatic. If you want to make a fool of yourself because families decide to shop then so be it. Better you than me and my family.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not forcing anyone to boycott or even open this post...the title is clear..

Quoting AJB163:

I think boycotting is a bit childish in this very aspect.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to not spend time with your family on Thanksgiving. I think you're just boycotting to cause drama. They aren't doing anything physically to you, so let them be. Why punish them for not doing anything to you?

Okay, you want to spend time with your family? Do that... Quit butting your head in other families choices and decisions for the holidays. That's not for you to decide for them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I would not boycott completely. I think it's totaly fine for the LATE night shopping. Like midnight - after family is gone, kids are in bed, etc... Black Friday shopping is a tradition in my house, and it's pissing me off that it's starting now before my family even leaves!!! I miss being in line at 2-3am waiting for stores to open at 4am. Now I think some are open at EIGHT PM!!! Not cool. Or stores that usually close, don't close at all... Stupid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM
I feel that grocery stores should close on thanksgiving. I honestly didn't know any were open. I did not say it was part of the job...I also do not have a job, I'm not sure why you are so hostile towards me.

Quoting Keara20:

Ok if you're willing to do that. How about letting grocery stores close on thanksgiving in Christmas?? We have to stay open because of morons who can't buy their crap in advance and lose time with our families! Oh but its part of the job you say? So is working retail. you knew of black friday when you applied, suck it up and do your job. sometimes you have to work holidays. If you dont want to work holidays, get a job where you get weekends and holidays off
Kitschy
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I'm boycotting, I've signed two petitions and I plan to picket after dinner with my family. We need to save Thanksgiving.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Fuck no. If they dont want to work on holidays, then they can get a job where they dont have to. I am not going to try to boycott my 2nd favorite shopping day of the year. 

Also Black friday makes these companies too much money for your little boycott to bother them.

msalice_21
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Um actually.. yeah there are. Cause i know a ton of people who would. Personally. Myself included

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM

big deal...Alot of jobs have to work on holidays including doctors, nurses, solidiers, people who work at restraunts, and the list goes on.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I agree. It's losing the magic of the holidays.

Quoting momof3jam:

I would not boycott completely. I think it's totaly fine for the LATE night shopping. Like midnight - after family is gone, kids are in bed, etc... Black Friday shopping is a tradition in my house, and it's pissing me off that it's starting now before my family even leaves!!! I miss being in line at 2-3am waiting for stores to open at 4am. Now I think some are open at EIGHT PM!!! Not cool. Or stores that usually close, don't close at all... Stupid.

Kitschy
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

They used to be just open for a few hours in the morning. They used to close around noon. Gas stations used to close, everything used to close.

Quoting Anonymous:

I feel that grocery stores should close on thanksgiving. I honestly didn't know any were open. I did not say it was part of the job...I also do not have a job, I'm not sure why you are so hostile towards me.

Quoting Keara20:

Ok if you're willing to do that. How about letting grocery stores close on thanksgiving in Christmas?? We have to stay open because of morons who can't buy their crap in advance and lose time with our families! Oh but its part of the job you say? So is working retail. you knew of black friday when you applied, suck it up and do your job. sometimes you have to work holidays. If you dont want to work holidays, get a job where you get weekends and holidays off

workingmama86
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

lol, I hear ya. I did that one time, and I didn't find crap that i wanted on sale! It was a total waste of time!

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

You and I both, you won't catch me in any stores on BF either...shits CRAZY!!!

Quoting workingmama86:

i know I won't be shopping. I like to spend my day with family and relaxing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)