Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

who thinks we should boycott stores open on thanksgiving for early sales?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone should boycott stores opening on Thursday for Black Friday. I understand that those people that work on retail do need to do their job, but this is just ridiculous.

I thought opening at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning was extreme! Now a lot of stores are opening all day Thanksgiving!

People that work retail get two days off in the holiday season, Thanksgiving & Christmas. That's it. Usually they are working until midnight the night before the holidays, and showing up at 5 am the next day. Those are usually the two days they can count to see (local) family, going out of state is out of the question.

So can someone please help me make one of those chain email things that we can pass around Facebook and inboxes, so maybe these big companies will get the message!

Thanksgiving is for family, not consumerism!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (51-60):
rockabillybetty
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM
No :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM
4 moms liked this

And what will boycotting accomplish? If a few angry people sit home and miss the sales you aren't hurting the store's bottom line. For everyone who stays home out of protest there are 10 more shoppers ready to move in and grab the deals. Best Buy doesn't care if you don't want a discounted TV. They will be sold out no matter if you are there or not. Walmart doesn't care if you don't want a new stand mixer on sale, they will sell them all and make a fortune. 

You know, its great to support your local small businesses. DH is a video game lover and I buy all of his gifts local from a small video game shop. The owner is nice and knows me and my kids by name and looks out for games that he knows I want to get DH. That doesn't change the fact that black friday sales will have video games on super sales in the big box stores across town and people will shove old ladies out of the way to save $10 on the hottest titles.

Your protest solves nothing. If you want to be with family, cool. The rest of the country wants to stimulate the economy and honestly our economy needs the stimulation more than we need a drunken night at the in-laws house. YOU CAN EAT TURKEY WITH FAMILY ANY DAY OF THE YEAR. You can be thankful every day of the year. You can also shop any day of the year. 

Why are store owners evil for wanting to make money? No one forced any of your relatives or friends to work retail. In fact, for every angry retail employee there are 10 unemployed people who will gladly take their job and work 19 hours straight on Thanksgiving and Black Friday to support their families.

If you don't like working retail... don't. Go quit. Get unlimited days off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I agree.
msalice_21
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM
K ill apply. But i dont know how well my attendance would considering i live in cali lol!

Quoting Anonymous:

Keara20
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM
That brings money in.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have close friends and family that this affects. Plus once it becomes common to open on Thanksgiving, my families businesses will then have to open to keep up.

Quoting Keara20:

You don't work, yet you're complaining about other people having to work? Lol ok.

Quoting Anonymous:

I feel that grocery stores should close on thanksgiving. I honestly didn't know any were open. I did not say it was part of the job...I also do not have a job, I'm not sure why you are so hostile towards me.

Quoting Keara20:

Ok if you're willing to do that. How about letting grocery stores close on thanksgiving in Christmas?? We have to stay open because of morons who can't buy their crap in advance and lose time with our families! Oh but its part of the job you say? So is working retail. you knew of black friday when you applied, suck it up and do your job. sometimes you have to work holidays. If you dont want to work holidays, get a job where you get weekends and holidays off

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

have you ever thought that getting together and going shopping on thanksgiving and black friday is part of their family tradition? Why boycott someone elses tradition? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm talking about the companies now opening on thanksgiving, not black Friday.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Fuck no. If they dont want to work on holidays, then they can get a job where they dont have to. I am not going to try to boycott my 2nd favorite shopping day of the year. 

Also Black friday makes these companies too much money for your little boycott to bother them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

We go shopping on Thanksgiving anyplace that's open.  We're not into football or TV really so we enjoy going out with our extended family and hitting the stores.  Sorry, but we will be there!

Of course you couldn't pay me to go out on Black Friday.  What a nightmare.

bright-eyes
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

i waork as a c.n.a in a assisted living home .

im not a first responder  should i get the day off ?

Quoting Kitschy:

Other than emergency responders, no one should have to work that day end of story.

Quoting Anonymous:

big deal...Alot of jobs have to work on holidays including doctors, nurses, solidiers, people who work at restraunts, and the list goes on.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I think in this economy they should just be happy to have jobs instead of complaining about having to work...Alot of jobs have to work on holidays and that is just part of life if people don't want to work on holidays then they need to find a job that gives you off those holiday...I have no sympathy but that is because DH has missed many holidays with us because of him fighting for our country and so have I because i take care of the ill in the hospital

Quoting Kitschy:

Other than emergency responders, no one should have to work that day end of story.

Quoting Anonymous:

big deal...Alot of jobs have to work on holidays including doctors, nurses, solidiers, people who work at restraunts, and the list goes on.....

Kitschy
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

health care is necessary. You aren't sacrificing your holiday so people can buy shit. I don't understand why people like you demean your own efforts by putting yourself in the same category as greedy business men and giant corporations.

Quoting stephiebugg:

Yeah, I take care of developmentally disabled adults in a group home. They really need me there. Oh well. LOL I work Thanksgiving every year.

Quoting Kitschy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)