Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

who thinks we should boycott stores open on thanksgiving for early sales?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone should boycott stores opening on Thursday for Black Friday. I understand that those people that work on retail do need to do their job, but this is just ridiculous.

I thought opening at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning was extreme! Now a lot of stores are opening all day Thanksgiving!

People that work retail get two days off in the holiday season, Thanksgiving & Christmas. That's it. Usually they are working until midnight the night before the holidays, and showing up at 5 am the next day. Those are usually the two days they can count to see (local) family, going out of state is out of the question.

So can someone please help me make one of those chain email things that we can pass around Facebook and inboxes, so maybe these big companies will get the message!

Thanksgiving is for family, not consumerism!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (61-70):
scream_rockstar
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Honestly who cares? I mean some places usually ask who wants to work holidays and who doesn't. I'm sure there are people out there that really don't care if they are off work for thanksgiving or not. I know for thanksgiving I wouldn't care if I had to work cause it means more money in my pocket.

Most businesses give their employees bonus time for working holidays anyways.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM
It's not tradition to go shopping on Thanksgiving.

Quoting AJB163:

No, you're asking people if we should boycott. You have no actual valid reasons. Yeah, spending time with family is important on that day... But it may be tradition to go shopping too.

I just think what you're saying is a tad bit dramatic. If you want to make a fool of yourself because families decide to shop then so be it. Better you than me and my family.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not forcing anyone to boycott or even open this post...the title is clear..

Quoting AJB163:

I think boycotting is a bit childish in this very aspect.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to not spend time with your family on Thanksgiving. I think you're just boycotting to cause drama. They aren't doing anything physically to you, so let them be. Why punish them for not doing anything to you?

Okay, you want to spend time with your family? Do that... Quit butting your head in other families choices and decisions for the holidays. That's not for you to decide for them.
Paiute773
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Who wants to go shopping to get a great deal on a TV?? I want to enjoy my turkey and let everything settle and make a couple trips to El Bano!! I hate shopping, so doesn't matter to me...you guys have it, tho.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM
No thanks. I'll be at target on thanksgiving. I hate thanksgiving anyway and only look forward to black Friday.
BShip2010
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM
I think I'll be shopping that day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Either way is ruins some one's tradition with that logic.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

have you ever thought that getting together and going shopping on thanksgiving and black friday is part of their family tradition? Why boycott someone elses tradition? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm talking about the companies now opening on thanksgiving, not black Friday.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Fuck no. If they dont want to work on holidays, then they can get a job where they dont have to. I am not going to try to boycott my 2nd favorite shopping day of the year. 

Also Black friday makes these companies too much money for your little boycott to bother them.

stephiebugg
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Well, working is working, isn't it? My family is important, but I gotta pay the bills. I'm sure lots of  people who work retail are in the same boat as I am.
Do people in retail get a higher (holiday) rate of pay for working those days?

Quoting Kitschy:

health care is necessary. You aren't sacrificing your holiday so people can buy shit. I don't understand why people like you demean your own efforts by putting yourself in the same category as greedy business men and giant corporations.

Quoting stephiebugg:

Yeah, I take care of developmentally disabled adults in a group home. They really need me there. Oh well. LOL I work Thanksgiving every year.

Quoting Kitschy:

Other than emergency responders, no one should have to work that day end of story.

Quoting Anonymous:

big deal...Alot of jobs have to work on holidays including doctors, nurses, solidiers, people who work at restraunts, and the list goes on.....

illinoismommy83
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

So, everyone in the hospital should go home for the holidays so nurses can be off? Women should not go into labor? Sick people should just go home? And nursing homes and long term care facilities should close? And the power company should close and if your power goes out that is too bad? And snow plows can have the day off because if it snows that is just too bad? And if you run out of gas you should have planned ahead? If your car breaks down just leave it on the road because your 24/7 emergency roadside assistance no longer applies because its a holiday? And hotels no longer need to be staffed on holidays? No one needs to clean your room before you check in because the maid needs a day off to be with family?

The world doesn't shut down simply because you say so. 

Quoting Kitschy:

Other than emergency responders, no one should have to work that day end of story.

Quoting Anonymous:

big deal...Alot of jobs have to work on holidays including doctors, nurses, solidiers, people who work at restraunts, and the list goes on.....

Kitschy
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I misspoke and I'm not going to explain it in every reply. What I meant was people who are necessary for emergency situations. That includes most health care providers. I wasn't talking about just police and firemen.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

So, everyone in the hospital should go home for the holidays so nurses can be off? Women should not go into labor? Sick people should just go home? And nursing homes and long term care facilities should close? And the power company should close and if your power goes out that is too bad? And snow plows can have the day off because if it snows that is just too bad? And if you run out of gas you should have planned ahead? If your car breaks down just leave it on the road because your 24/7 emergency roadside assistance no longer applies because its a holiday? And hotels no longer need to be staffed on holidays? No one needs to clean your room before you check in because the maid needs a day off to be with family?

The world doesn't shut down simply because you say so. 

Quoting Kitschy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM

your right  instead of making money i should throw a fit because i have to work that day. even if  my parents are gone and i have no family close by  i should still boycott .

that logic is just fucking stupid

Quoting Kitschy:

Either way is ruins some one's tradition with that logic.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

have you ever thought that getting together and going shopping on thanksgiving and black friday is part of their family tradition? Why boycott someone elses tradition? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm talking about the companies now opening on thanksgiving, not black Friday.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Fuck no. If they dont want to work on holidays, then they can get a job where they dont have to. I am not going to try to boycott my 2nd favorite shopping day of the year. 

Also Black friday makes these companies too much money for your little boycott to bother them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)