Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O: I don't get it. What is so special about Nov 22?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM
  • 155 Replies
11 moms liked this

Since this site is blowing up with anger over people working on holidays and no one is answering my question directly...

Why is is SO freakin important to people to eat turkey with their family on November 22? Would turkey with your family on November 24th not be just as special? Are you less thankful for your family on November 25th? What about December 1st? Do you not love your family on that day? Travel is SO much cheaper on December 1st and all of the turkeys will be clearanced out so you can get one cheaper for your belated turkey dinner on Dec. 1.  Why are people clinging so desperately to the fact that their world will end if they do not get turkey with Great Aunt Myrtle on Nov 22?

Work schedules for next week are likely posted by now so what is the harm in calling your family and trying to plan a family gathering for a day that you do have off? I thought Thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you do have and being with your family. Not stomping your feet because your calender insists you only should see your family on the day that a giant image of a turkey is on your calender.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM

i agree.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally I would rather work it. We cant afford the non payed off day.
kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM
3 moms liked this
The day celebrating stolen land lol. I said this almost very same thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it's more about spending time with our families.

Thanksgiving is a national holiday. For many, many years, everyone has closed on Holidays.

If someone works full time, they normally have that day off. If stores are going to be open, they might not get that day off. Of course, this scenario is more likely for someone in management...a peon, they would just give them the next day off.

kjoarcik
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

We'll most likely have Thanksgiving dinner on the following Saturday because of my Uncle's schedule.

It doesn't matter to me when we all get together. For some people though, the majority might have Thanksgiving off and can't work it into another day because one person has to work.

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's just a social expectation to have turkey on Nov 22nd. It just doesn't feel like Tday when it's postponed.

Though I agree with you. We don't love our family less on any other day. Though I think a lot of families put aside their differences on that day and try to get along (which we should be doing all the time not just the holidays.)

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I don't care what day it is I just better get some Turkey, Ham, mashed potatoes, and some yams or else I will be one unhappy preggo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaileysMommy
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM
4 moms liked this

What is so special about Nov. 22nd? My DD turns 2  :) LOL. And I agree with your post. 

LucyHarper
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm guessing you aren't working for Thanksgiving? Lets take away all of your holidays and see how you like it.

BShip2010
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope SO has to work so he can make triple!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)