Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You may think it's absurd, but Texas could actually, successfully, pull it off

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Here's why:

–Resources. Texas currently sits on one-quarter of the nation’s oil reserves and one-third of the nation’s natural gas reserves. Even more, fully 95 percent of the country receives its oil and gas courtesy of pipelines that originate within Texas. This is what one might call leverage.

–The Texas Economy. This is well documented but worth repeating. In the last decade, even with the Great Recession, Texas has expanded by one million jobs. One million. That’s more than every other state … combined. Because of its friendly business climate, Texas is home to more Fortune 500 companies than anywhere else. If Texas were its own country, it would have the tenth-highest GDP in the world. Canada would be number eleven. Or think about it this way: For every dollar Texas taxpayers send to Washington, they currently get only about 80 cents back. Theoretically, they could transfer those funds to the state’s coffers and still give every Texan a 20 percent tax cut.

–Utilities. Texas is the only state with its own power grid. Developed over the course of the last 100 years, the Texas grid covers the majority of the state and is fully state controlled. Translation: Texans could rest assured that the federal government doesn’t have the power — literally — to turn off their lights.

–Defense. While no match for Uncle Sam’s firepower, Texas does have a significant defense presence, namely in the Texas State Guard (which answers only to the governor), the Texas National Guard, the Air Guard and the legendary Texas Rangers. Texas is also home to two of the nation’s largest military bases — Fort Hood and Fort Bliss — and being able to control those two installations is nothing to sniff at. But let’s not forget the firepower of the citizenry itself. There’s a reason burglars don’t waste their time in Texas.

–History. Texas has done this before. Twice, actually. First in 1836, when it seceded from Mexico and became an independent country. Second in 1861, when it joined the Confederacy. And while the South did lose the Civil War, it didn’t lose it in Texas. In fact, by the end of 1864, the North didn’t have one square foot of Texas soil under its control despite many attempts. Even a full month after Robert E. Lee surrendered at the Appomattox Court House, Texas was still fighting. Texans love their state and they love a fight. That is a lethal combination.

Still, all of this leads us back to a legal question: Can they do it? Texas lore claims that the permission to secede is woven into the state’s founding documents. Well, yes and no. The Texas Annexation Agreement of 1845 does say that the state has the right to split into as many as five separate states should it so choose — wouldn’t that make Harry Reid’s head spin? — and the Texas Constitution does say that “the maintenance of our free institutions and the perpetuity of the Union depend upon the preservation of the right of local self-government, unimpaired to all the States,” … but there is no get-out-of-jail-free card.

The counterargument, of course, is that Texas doesn’t need to look to its own history. It can look to America’s. After all, didn’t America secede, as it were, from Great Britain? And doesn’t the first line of our own Declaration of Independence defend a people’s God-given right to assume their own “separate and equal station” under the law?

Just sayin’.

Time to check that petition again.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Replies (141-150):
kyuteangl88
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Bosses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM
2 moms liked this

however, if they do secede.. the military power itself (As well as the weaponry etc..) from Hood and Bliss leave... leaving the state with a bunch of buildings and no military 

Sekirei
by Nari on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Momma3830:

Where did I say there wasn't? I just pointed out that those are many of the reasons I.fucking.hate.Texas.

it does suck.. doesn't it?

I just moved back here.. want to smack my husband for taking Ft Hood over Ft Drum or even Ft Jackson... GAH!

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Quoting Country_Momma89:

As a Texan, I think this whole thing is fucking ridiculous.

A lot of Texans think that.   There are more people in Texas who did NOT sign the secession petition, than did.  By many, many orders of magnitude.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM
: )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Momma3830:

Where did I say there wasn't? I just pointed out that those are many of the reasons I.fucking.hate.Texas.

it does suck.. doesn't it?

I just moved back here.. want to smack my husband for taking Ft Hood over Ft Drum or even Ft Jackson... GAH!

A Texan told me this joke - When God was creating the world he gave all the parts of the world all sorts of stuff - lakes, rivers, snowy mountain peaks thousands of feet high.  But by the time he got to Texas, he had run out of all that stuff.   He created a mostly flat, dry country, with cracked, poor soil, a dry mostly arid place.  No trees, lakes, rivers, just dry, cracked soil, sagebrush, and tumbleweeds.

When God was done, he looked around and said, 'Oh boy, this place is flat, dry with cracked soil, no rivers, lakes or high peak mountains.   What am I going to do with this place?'

He thought and thought and then He said, 'I KNOW!   I'll make a bunch of people who like that kind of place!'

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:23 AM

The president should send military officers to everyone who signed the petition and put them under arrest for treason

Treason:
: the offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance or to kill or personally injure the sovereign or the sovereign's family

mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Tx sure has tried to secede from the US and it didn't go through.

yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Ummm Texas "national guard" will be gone, Same with the military bases because I'm pretty sure those are federal right?

alwayskk
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:14 AM

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD, TEXANS, DON'T VOTE FOR HIM!

Quoting Anonymous:

In the past he supported it, now he is facing reelection in 2016.

Quoting The_Doodle:

The Governor has already said he will not support it. I thought they needed the state government backing them to do something like this?

"Go deeper than love, for the soul has greater depth…love is like the grass, but the heart is deep wild rock, ….molten, yet dense and permanent." ~ D. H. Lawrence.

You are the peace of all things calm. You are the place to hide from harm. You are the light that shines in dark. You are the heart’s eternal spark. You are the door that’s open wide. You are the guest who waits inside. You are the stranger at the door. You are the calling of the poor. You are with me still. You are my love, keep me from ill. You are the light, the truth, the way. ~ Oral Celtic Tradition

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN