Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you looking forward to seeing family over Thanksgiving? or dreading it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am really not in the mood to go to grandma in law's house this thanksgiving.  There is nothing to talk about or do so it's super boring.  After 3 or 4 hours, I'm ready to go, but dh wants to sit there for 9 hours because it's his biological grandmother.  And he says she won't live too much longer so he wants to visit all he can.  We always have to get up around 9 am, rush to get kids dressed, and I'll catch maybe 30 minutes of the parades on tv, but then we have to rush out the door and drive 50 miles away for thanksgiving lunch promptly at noon.  Then we all sit around till 8pm at her house.  I'm ready to leave by 3.  All I want to do is relax in my own house and liesurly watch the thanksgiving parades. I'm dreading it and feel like taking a break this year and do what I want for a change. 

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
kitchen.ninja
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I am, we our doing our Thanksgiving stuff all this weekend. We go to my sister;s on saturday and hang out for like 5 hours and then Sunday I am hosting a dinner here.

I am soending actual Thanksgiving all day in my PJs and hanging at home with the kids though.

betsyabel
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I am not looking forward to it this year.  I'm ready to stop going to the sis in law's house and just have our family here.  I've got a 22, 21, and 18 year old along with my 11 year old.  I think it's time to stop going.  It doesn't help that there is nobody for my 11 year old to play with there, the other kids are 3 and under so there isn't much for him to do while hubby drones on and on and on with his relatives.

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Quoting Butterfly1108:

I know how you feel but then I tell myself I should be happy that I have a family to share these special holidays just try to suck it up, before you know it it will be January 

I just want to spend the holidays here in my own home with my family and call it good. You are not alone ;)0

I guess I'd be more excited if it didn't feel forced. grandma is the type that if you don't come she'll be pissed and call and say why aren't you here? and dh is very adament that I come every year.  I just feel forced. If I could take a break every now and then I'd feel better. glad to see I'm not alone tho!

Grandma.grandma
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM
I am not in the mood to be at mils all day >:/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peachesforme
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Quoting mom2savannah731:

I am because it will more than likely be the last time I see my grandma.  She is really sick and we are hoping that she at least makes it till Thanksgiving when my sister and I can be there.   

aw I'm sorry. I hope she makes it till then.

Hellobabies
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I am looking forward to it. We usually host at our house but decided to go to the in laws this year. It is gorgeous where they live and so much to do for the kids. The only thing I dread about it is it a 2 day drive from our house and we have twin 2 yr olds. My husband refuses to fly because he wants to show my mom, who is going with us, the "scenic route". Other than that, it is going to be awesome. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Yes and no, looking forward to my parents coming to stay for a week, looking forward to seeing my inlaws, dh brothers and thief families? .. no.
MarriedYoung
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Depends on the relative. my aunt and her youngest son and his wife i can do without. the rest im excited to see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peachesforme
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting betsyabel:

I am not looking forward to it this year.  I'm ready to stop going to the sis in law's house and just have our family here.  I've got a 22, 21, and 18 year old along with my 11 year old.  I think it's time to stop going.  It doesn't help that there is nobody for my 11 year old to play with there, the other kids are 3 and under so there isn't much for him to do while hubby drones on and on and on with his relatives.

that's exactly how I feel. My dh drones on and on and on with HIS family. Grandma lives with his aunt, and the aunt is tired of having to cook for everyone anyways.  She is tired of the hassle and and I'm tired of the droning on and on. I'm tired of driving 100miles round trip to their house. I want to just stay home and relax, enjoy my day, be with MY kids and dh, watch my parades, and have a nice spot o' tea.

PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I am looking forward to it. We have the best time year after year. Unfortunately, this may be the last year that we will have everyone together. I have hosted for the past 10 years and my niece wants to host next year at her house so her in laws can be invited. I will host next year but it won't be the same without everyone here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)