Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pertussis vs cold...

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM
  • 4 Replies

How can you tell the difference? Especially in a young infant?

About three weeks ago my six year old dd came home with what I thought was a cold. I got it as did my 5 month old ds. Running nose, low grade fever, and a cough. It seemed to get better and then the past weekend it came back. My ds has coughing fits that last maybe a min and he gags. He has also had eye boogers the past few days. I made him an appt to see the dr tomorrow. He doesn't seem fussier than usual. When he's awake he is generally happy and his normal self but it worries me this is week 3 of this "cold" and it hasn't let up.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
capfelbeck
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Croup maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Maybe. I recorded one of his coughing fits for the dr tomorrow. The only reason I waited so long to take him in is because he isn't acting like he doesn't feel well and he seemed to be getting better. Then the eye crusties started and his cough came back. :(

Quoting capfelbeck:

Croup maybe?

Luna091306
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Croup is the barking cough right? His cough doesn't sound like a bark, it's just a normal cough so many times in a row and sometimes he gags at the end. The past hour he's been crying when he coughs. He wasn't doing that before. Man I'm almost tempted to just take him to the ER. I wanted to get him in today but dh had to use my car to go to work.

Quoting capfelbeck:

Croup maybe?

capfelbeck
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM

sorry it took me so long to respond i have conferenes.  if hes crying when he coughs i would take him to the er. also does he make a noise at the end of his coughing fit?

Quoting Luna091306:

Croup is the barking cough right? His cough doesn't sound like a bark, it's just a normal cough so many times in a row and sometimes he gags at the end. The past hour he's been crying when he coughs. He wasn't doing that before. Man I'm almost tempted to just take him to the ER. I wanted to get him in today but dh had to use my car to go to work.

Quoting capfelbeck:

Croup maybe?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured