Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Being broke, yet being a SAHM and receiving welfare to provide?

If you are Willing to receive welfare, why wouldn't you receive childcare
assistance so that you can work, instead of receive benefits to prevent you from providing for your own children?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Don't have personal experience but was told by a friend she had no problem getting food stamps but there was a wait list for childcare help. Don't know if its like that everywhere but I guess it is here. She was not happy lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM

No, there is one income system. It doesn't matter how many parents are working. If you make more than x dollars, you don't qualify. And the limit is pretty low. You'd both have to be making pretty much minimum wage to qualify with a 2 parent income.

Quoting Anonymous:

But child care assistance for a couple is much higher income limit requirement than typical welfare? Meaning husband can make a lot more money a month and wife can make an average amount of money while still qualifying for daycare assistance?

Quoting The.Hug.Life:

I think that some it has to do with if there are two incomes coming in the PA benefits will be cut and then her paycheck will go to childcare and her take home pay will be practically zero. The system is messed up, it practically forces it's users to be dependent on the state.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

A girlfriend of mine got PA for 4 years while her hubby was in medical school.  She could have worked, but she has 5 kids in5 years so 4 of them would have been in child care while she worked.  She figured out that she would let less PA  but still get it with her working full time and on top of that she would be getting spending 3 times the amount on daycare that she saved on the PA.  So she figured, her husband was in medical school, and will be paying in soon enough, so it is kinda a weird loan sort of thing.  Now they make 200,000 a year and let me tell you, they pay in.  It was for 4 years that they needed it and got it and it is over now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

because at least one person should be home at all times with the kids for at least the first five years of their lives.

Not to mention that sure childcare may be partially covered, but then there is gas, potentially additional car payments, work clothes, some kind of specific education. Not to mention many daycares only opperate from 7-5, what happens to second or third shifters?

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Just throwing out there--you don't always qualify for childcare assistance just because you qualify for other PA.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess it depends on one's perspective, but if a person is getting assistance through my tax dollars either way (whether it be welfare in general while being a SAHM or major childcare subsidies so they can go work) my personal feeling is they may as well be home with their kids while they're very young.  They're getting monetary assistance either way, so why not have more kids be with one of their parents and not have them take up a spot at daycare that someone else may put to better use?

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

This is a pet peeve of mine. You shouldn't be a SAHM if you have finacial troubles.

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Well...he wasn't really providing enough if you needed food stamps was he?  I have a friend in a similar situation, and I just don't understand this macho "pride" about being the "breadwinner" when you're really not bringing home enough to support the family.  If you're (general "you", I realize you said this was years ago for your situation) not above foodstamps, why not get daycare assistance, get over your stupid pride and let your wife bring home some money too?  Gas and work clothes are not that expensive if you get a job close to home, that doesn't require new clothes, like a retail job or something.  Not all daycares are evil, I love mine and frankly they do a better job of educating my son than I would since their trained preschool teachers.  Meanwhile I get to do what I do best and help put food on the table. 

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Years ago, when kids were little, we struggled financially and needed just a lttle help. We were on FS for 4 months. I got asked this a lot. Between the cost of transportation, work clothes, and other costs of working,  the money I would've brought home would not have been worth it. Besides, my dh and I commited to me being home with the kids and he feels its more important than what little money I could have made. He takes a lot of pride in being the provider for his family and didn't want me to have to work. There is no way on this earth we would have put our kids in daycare.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

um well when my husband was laid off in our case we had a nb that that had(an still has at age 2) a rythmic issue so it was either bf or not bf her be in the hospital where I would have lost my job any ways because i dnt leave my babies at all when they are sick. ? . So that was our situation at the time. An we dnt recieve public assitance now BUT if we did im sure we would have a reason to why we do what we do. IOur children get extremly sick very easily.MY oldest has stomach issues we cant dignose so I wouldnt dare be comfortable with sending her to some one else to care for , the only time I will send her off to becared for some one else is when she HAS to be in school. Psh I even cared for her right after the birth of my oldest, yup she stayed at the hospital with me , just me her an the baby when my husband was at work. So as you can see some peope have their reason to why they have/do/or would take that route.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Sadly child care help is harder to get.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)