Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Being broke, yet being a SAHM and receiving welfare to provide?

If you are Willing to receive welfare, why wouldn't you receive childcare
assistance so that you can work, instead of receive benefits to prevent you from providing for your own children?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Replies (21-24):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM
I'm waiting for childcare assistance. I'm a single mom of 2 kids under 4 whose dad committed suicide so his life insurance won't pay anything even though he's gone. I'm living off savings and food stamps until I can get childcare assistance. I had to quit my job when DH passed away to take care of our kids. I have no family and no friends so I feel like I have no options. I have been waiting 7 months and likely have another 11 months to go, my case worker says.

I don't want to depend on public assistance and I wish I didn't have to but I'm so lost and ashamed.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM
I quit work when baby #4 was born b/c my entire paycheck would have home to daycare & gas to get to work....and I had a "good" job. A lot of these moms would still need assistance b/c their money wouldn't really benefit the family financially.
Now, whether or not they should have kids when they can't afford it would be a completely different debate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Ohhh ok. Wasn't aware it was harder. Lol. That's why I didn't understand

Quoting Anonymous:

Sadly child care help is harder to get.
happy-go-lucky
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM
In our case dh lost his job we had 4 kids from 1 year to 6 years old at home. He tried to support us without assistance, I tried to get a job, but nothing he could find payed as much as his old job. He got two jobs, we sold everything we could, but we still didnt have money for food. I applied for jobs but nothing that payed above minimum wage even responded, and I would have paid almost all of it in daycare (if I could find one for the hours I would have had to work) even if I could have gotten daycare assistance. The little left would have gone to gas.

We ended up on food stamps for 6 months, dh got a loan to start a business and I worked in the office, with the kids. We have been off any type of assistance for the past year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN