Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people always blame the parents?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
In reality parents have very little effect on how children turn out. Study after study says the same thing: peers, environment and genetics have a far greater influence. Yes parents do have an effect on their children but we have to look at it from an ecological perspective (micro,meso,macro and exo) this means looking at everything from parents, environment, peers, government, school ect.
The fact is how good or bad a parent is does not matter very much (though please don't give up parenting because it does effect the basic value and belief system) good parents can have bad children Nd bad parents can have good children and so on.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHarper
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

What kind of studies have you been looking at... parents have a huge impact on how kids turn out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM
http://books.google.ca/books?id=-SXk9QSAguMC&pg=PA99&dq=how+much+influence+do+parents+have+on+their+children&hl=en&sa=X&ei=piSkUInYIqvLigLh0YHYAg&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAw

http://books.google.ca/books?id=ZNt9AAAAMAAJ&q=how+much+influence+do+parents+have+on+their+children&dq=how+much+influence+do+parents+have+on+their+children&hl=en&sa=X&ei=piSkUInYIqvLigLh0YHYAg&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBA

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2008/05/20/parents-influence-on-kids-beha/
atyou
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this
"The fact is how good or bad a parent is does not matter very much"......is utter bullshit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Yeah...lol!!

Quoting LucyHarper:

What kind of studies have you been looking at... parents have a huge impact on how kids turn out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nathans_mom407
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I agree with you. 

Bonita131
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Right, yeah sure. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Until age 11 perhaps but after that peers and the child's nature take the lead. If you have a nurture led child (which is more rare) then you will have a bigger influence but peers will still become the "parents" after age 11
And I could actual only find 3 studies that say parents are the biggest influence ( and I mean scholarly articles from a university database, I can't post them on here though because you won't be able to access them without an account)

Quoting LucyHarper:

kaddiefrass
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Doesn't the parent create the environment. I mean, not completely but a good part of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM
I did it as my masters literature review. 30 pages. Almost all the scholarly research says the same thing. You can even google it and almost all the same facts will come up.

Quoting Bonita131:

Right, yeah sure. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM
Yes that's a good point that I meant to add. In a lot of cases poorer families will have kids who rebel because of the crappy environment which it turn the parents did create yes. Also the same can be said for super rich families.

Quoting kaddiefrass:

Doesn't the parent create the environment. I mean, not completely but a good part of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)