Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you Borrow Money From SO?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I haven't worked since having our daughter in March, I've been living off my tax return to pay my bills and such. I'm running out and just got hired for a job but haven't started. (2 more weeks!)

So today I ask SO if he could spare twenty bucks ($20) for gas he says "yes, till when"?  As in when will I be paying him back?

I really didn't think it was that big a deal asking for a little money till I get a pay check. Am I wrong for not expecting to OWE him the money? I know he pays all the bills in the house, but the only reason I wasn't working for so long was becasue he switched his job shift (claiming that he would get more hours so he would have more money) making it harder for me to find a job around the kids.

I got a job and haven't started yet. I'm not lazy and sit around the house, I go to school online, cook clean and run errands for him. I don't ask for money generally. Hell yesterday I had to super glue my sneakers back together. My skin peeled for 2 weeks before I could get money to  get the proper lotion. I just feel that I shouldn't OWE him anything as far as the $20. Am I wrong?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
kbornman21
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:07 AM
My Bf is looking for a better paying job so that when I do finally get pregnant I can do that. :)

Quoting daiseymae2:

Wow. When I got pregnant with out oldest together, we weren't married. He encouraged me to quit my job and be a SAHM. We didn't get married until DD was 7 months old. He supported us and my oldest(not his) for over a year. He gave me money willingly with no intention of getting anything back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candymonster
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Psh, we put our money together and share it. We did that even when we first started dating too.. money has never come in between us :) 

Josie_P
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:50 AM
No, I have my own money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:52 AM
I still ask like you but I don't think he'd say when can you pay me back lol. He wouldn't hold it over my head or anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:57 AM
No we don't borow, loan, payback money that's crazy!
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Quoting MixedCooke:

well we are married so his money is my money and my money is his money.

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:12 AM

You refer to him in the post as SO.  Does that mean you are not married?  How strong is the relationship?  I would take it as a bad/weird sign if my hubs was hesitant to give me $20, even if the relationship wasn't on the marriage track at the time.  Does he never spend money on you?  Has he been controlling with finances since you haven't been bringing in a paycheck?  

You have to decide if "borrowing" money is going to be ok with you in your relationship, especially since you are going to work as well.  Have a talk with him about finances, and figure out what his feelings are and how you will combine and distribute your funds.  The quick answer is "his is mine and mine is his" but that doesn't work for every single couple, especially if you have different spending habits.  I'm the "spender" in my marriage, and I have less access to all the money than my hubs.  Someone else might be upset about that, but I understand it's one of the reasons that we still have a home and our bills are paid, lol.  Figure out what works for the 2 of you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

yea but he buys the food, and laundry supplies so really, he'd just do his own laundry and make his own food, then bitch about it. Sure I could say I'm "billing him" but he'd just laugh and never see a penny.

Quoting AMCMSM:

It is our money. Start billing him.... charge a fee for laundry, cooking, child care ..... whatever

boshs1andonly
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM

even when dh and I weren't married, we shared money like we did. I think it's pretty crappy that the first thing out of his mouth is "until when" . 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I wish my husband would say some mess like that...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN