Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think is harder? Stay at Home mom or Working (outside of home) mom?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been both and both are hard 

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Replies (21-30):
beerabitch69
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I know. I love that thing.

Quoting Bertha21:

I meant like the pig from the GEICO commercial lol

Quoting beerabitch69:

Yep. That's me.

Quoting Bertha21:

like the pig?

Quoting beerabitch69:

Wheeeeee!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jeannie39
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree. I've done both and it is hard. I think a single, working mother or a working mother with a lazy ass dh would have it even harder.

method209
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I have done both and I found being a sahm was harder.  I personally find I'm a better mom now that I'm back at work.  I give sahm's a lot of credit, it's not as easy as I thought it would be.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I think it depends on the situation.

I MIGHT be an example of having it hard right now as a SAHM.   I've got 4.  I home school.  DH will MENTALLY support me, but he won't lift a finger..  Other than when we Christmas shop once a year, I don't get a break.  

My oldest has some issues that mimic being "on the spectrum"... I guess. 

My next oldest has impulse control and possible ADD.  

My third is really hard to say, because she's so busy bouncing off the walls and running in circles, yelling at the top of her lungs to get her to just stop and count past 6 objects before she gets goofy and starts just randomly poking objects and rambling off various numbers with her eyes rolling around in her head and her head flopping side to side... argh!!!

My almost 5 month old isn't hitting too many of his milestones.  He just can't seem to eat off a spoon.  He DEMANDS to nurse every hour and a half still...  he won't lay on his stomach without going hysterical and puking in whatever he is laying on and then choking on his own puke....

...on top of all of their issues, I really HEAVILY feel like I'm suffering from PPD... and I can't get help right now...  Christmas is tight enough without my racking up co-pays and therapy!

Oh, and I have no family... DH's family lives 5 hours away and his Mom isn't too great with the kids... My own family was an abusive hell hole growing up and they disowned us a few years ago.  They never saw my 4 yr old and don't know my 5 month old exists....

So.. yeah...

I think it's hard right now...  but "this too shall pass."   I just gotta wait and be faithful.

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what I think is hardest. I've been a single working mom, a working mom with a partner, and now a SAHM. They all have their challenges, but doing it alone 24/7 with no relief in sight is the hardest.

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

I do both. I am a single mom. Scratch that - Super Mom.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Being a SAHM (especially if it's because you can't afford to work - so you just stay home w/ kids... and don't have the $$ to go "out" every day w/ the kids) is very hard on one's sanity. 

Working gives mom a chance to be herself - have adult contact and the opportunity to look forward to coming home to the kids.  Staying home, mom doesn't ever get away from the kids, and can tire of it quickly. 

Just speaking from experience.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

They are both equally hard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

They both have challenges....I don't know why people always have to compare them...I have been both...I hate working b/c Im not there when my son comes home from school to help him with homework and projects (they are done before I get home)....when I was a SAHM, I honestly drove myself crazy b/c I got so bored..I would clean and then there would be nothing to do...I would get together with other SAHM, but there is only so many times a week you can do that.

TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Factor in outside support, financial situation, number of kids, type of job/demands/hours and its going to depend on a case by case scenario. For me personally its easier being a sahm, but now that I am a sahm I also do a lot more work at home then I did when I was working.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

working

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)