Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has your child ever had a tantrum in public?

...or a tantrum at all?

Tonight I took my son to an ice cream shop.  Before going, I reminded him that he needed to be a good boy and sit nice and listen to Mommy.  He said "yes, I will be a good boy!" (which WAY MORE times than not, he is).

We sat together and enjoyed a Sweet Strawberry Sensation ice cream treat.  When we were done, he pretended to play some Pack-Man on their old-school video game.  When he was bored with that, he said he wanted more ice cream.  I told him "No, we already had our treat -- we're going to go home soon -- let's get your coat on."  --- This was followed by him laying on the ground, kicking and protesting.  This behavior has NEVER gotten him his way, so I'm frustrated that he still tests it (he's 3 1/2).

After asking him to please get up -- and to please listen -- it was obvious he had no intention of cooperating. I warned him that if he didn't stop and walk nice with me, that I would carry him out.  Still no cooperation.  I picked him up and carried him out - kicking and screaming.

Two minutes into our drive home he said "I'm sorry I didn't listen, Momma." 

For those who have had their kids tantrum in public, any advice?  Or have you just resorted to carrying them out like I did?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
tennisgal
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I only remember one (not to say it was the only one, just the only one i remember). It was at Target. I had just had his baby brother and he was 17months old. I was still trying to figure out the two-child thing. He wanted a toy (or wanted to go look at a toy) and when I said no, he started screaming and then he ran to the lobby area (where you first walk in at) and he kept running off and screaming. I was FURIOUS and so embarrased. I got them in the car and cried like a baby. 

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Quoting Jade89:

I can honestly say my son has never had a tantrum in public, or a tantrum... He's had a I'm sleepy melt down once or twice but never fall out on the floor screaming type of thing

How does he react when he is told 'no'?  Is he just really laid back?

F_Stathouse
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM
It works literally, Ive did it Ingles and my son started giggling and said do i look that silly.

yep u do i said hehe. People looked and a few laughed. lol

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

I know right? DS is usually behaved, but when he throws a tantrum its a head turner. I've been told by several people to 'throw a tantrum' myself to show him how ridiculous it looks but I'm not that brave.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees. You did good. 

Lol!  So, I'm not alone?  Thanks for saying I did good.  It is rare when he acts that way so I don't always feel prepared to deal with it.  In hindsight I think "maybe I should have given him more 'warning' that we were going to leave".....but then I realize that my decision to leave was more based on his behavior, so the warning I usually give was no longer an option.

Sigh -- parenthood.  If there were only an 'if this, then that' manual for every situation!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meka26
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes and I kept walking like I didn't know whose child she was. She realized her tantrum didn't work and got up and ran after me, lol. I didn't have to worry about that anymore.

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting tennisgal:

I only remember one (not to say it was the only one, just the only one i remember). It was at Target. I had just had his baby brother and he was 17months old. I was still trying to figure out the two-child thing. He wanted a toy (or wanted to go look at a toy) and when I said no, he started screaming and then he ran to the lobby area (where you first walk in at) and he kept running off and screaming. I was FURIOUS and so embarrased. I got them in the car and cried like a baby. 

:o(  -- I know that 'cry like a baby' reaction as a Momma.  I think we all think 'only 'bad' moms have kids who 'misbehave' that way (when in reality, they AREN'T misbehaving -- they are children who do not yet have the ability to regulate and manage their emotions....they are acting completely NORMAL).....but, it is SO stressful and embarrassing....and sometimes Mom just needs to cry, too!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM
3 moms liked this

I have three boys (16, 10, and 8) and I beat ass at home so there has never been a tantrum in public.  And if there were a tantrum in public, then I would have no problem spanking in public.  I don't play that falling in the floor bull crap. 

Jade89
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM
He'll usually ask... And ask... And then I tell him the same thing "no" and if he asks again he'll be punished or we will leave where ever we are.

The threat is all it takes. He's not really laid back, but he is a pretty darn good kid.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting Jade89:

I can honestly say my son has never had a tantrum in public, or a tantrum... He's had a I'm sleepy melt down once or twice but never fall out on the floor screaming type of thing

How does he react when he is told 'no'?  Is he just really laid back?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Not yet but he has done it at home. He is only 1 so I am sure it will happen eventually. I would do the same as you did.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Good job, mom!   He apologized!!   That demonstrates he cares and you are raising him right!

My older two never threw tantrums...  my third??  She did.  A LOT.    She doesn't as much in public anymore, but she still gets very angry, explosive, and loud!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Sounds pretty normal for a 3.5 yr old...my son is 4 and has had more tantrums in public than I can count...you may think he knows that its not gonna get him what he wants, but that doesn't mean that he isn't gonna try.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN