Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your child ever had a tantrum in public?

...or a tantrum at all?

Tonight I took my son to an ice cream shop.  Before going, I reminded him that he needed to be a good boy and sit nice and listen to Mommy.  He said "yes, I will be a good boy!" (which WAY MORE times than not, he is).

We sat together and enjoyed a Sweet Strawberry Sensation ice cream treat.  When we were done, he pretended to play some Pack-Man on their old-school video game.  When he was bored with that, he said he wanted more ice cream.  I told him "No, we already had our treat -- we're going to go home soon -- let's get your coat on."  --- This was followed by him laying on the ground, kicking and protesting.  This behavior has NEVER gotten him his way, so I'm frustrated that he still tests it (he's 3 1/2).

After asking him to please get up -- and to please listen -- it was obvious he had no intention of cooperating. I warned him that if he didn't stop and walk nice with me, that I would carry him out.  Still no cooperation.  I picked him up and carried him out - kicking and screaming.

Two minutes into our drive home he said "I'm sorry I didn't listen, Momma." 

For those who have had their kids tantrum in public, any advice?  Or have you just resorted to carrying them out like I did?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Replies (201-209):
borgen0128
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM
If my child has a tantrum, I address the emotion. I will say, for example, I see you are frustrated that you can't have that toy. I will usually validate the emotion, not the behavior.

A child's brain is so different than ours, and I treat it that way.

An upset child in public is hard for everyone, and I always feel compassion for moms dealing with a tough situation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mummy1990
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

My kid is only 18 months, but he does know what no means, and he knows he doesn't like it. He'll cry, and I tell him in spanish to calm down, and usually he does, but if he doesn't I just ignore it and look at something else. People look at me funny because I'm not paying attnetion to him while hes throwing a fit, but whatevs...I'm not going to pay attention to that kind of behavior. 

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Of course!  We have 7 kids.  Our DD was the worst of all of them.  She'd actually throw herself on the floor!  I wasn't having it.  Me or DH picked her up and went home or to the car if we were in a restaurant.  The boys didn't do that -- they'd sulk, but would get over it.  After seeing what happened when their older sister came undone they knew we'd just pick up and leave and they didn't want that OR to disappoint their other brothers.

steelcitymom101
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Actually I think you did quite well!  You look like a much better mother to those in the public when you carry them out, than when you ruin the time of others just ignoring him while he screams and disturbs thers around you!

WritingMom777
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Yes . . . .Sigh . . .

jj4ij
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

NO.... I leave them laying there, on the floor, and I stand guard watching for other peoples safety.  My 12 year old one time HURT me throwing a tantrum, so I learned my lesson.  I have been yelled at by an old lady once, but I simply said to her.... If you want to pick him up, go ahead.... you have my approval.  She looked at me with disgust and walked away.  They will eventually calm down, always followed by needs of hugs and kisses, and full of apologies.  I will not get myself hurt because they want to have a ridiculous temper tantrum.  NO WAY !!!!!

MsRkg
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM

If my son did that at that age, he would have lost privileges (toys, outside time and TV ) for a 1-3 days, depending on how bad it was. Reading through your post, he clearly knew what he was doing.

dfcinnamon
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Best solution that you could have done.  Somebody that knows how to raise kids would have told you how to do your job or turned you in the Child Protective Services.

do11face
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM

why yes, yes they have.

good times.

No advice, really. I just do what I think is best in the moment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured