Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your child ever had a tantrum in public?

...or a tantrum at all?

Tonight I took my son to an ice cream shop.  Before going, I reminded him that he needed to be a good boy and sit nice and listen to Mommy.  He said "yes, I will be a good boy!" (which WAY MORE times than not, he is).

We sat together and enjoyed a Sweet Strawberry Sensation ice cream treat.  When we were done, he pretended to play some Pack-Man on their old-school video game.  When he was bored with that, he said he wanted more ice cream.  I told him "No, we already had our treat -- we're going to go home soon -- let's get your coat on."  --- This was followed by him laying on the ground, kicking and protesting.  This behavior has NEVER gotten him his way, so I'm frustrated that he still tests it (he's 3 1/2).

After asking him to please get up -- and to please listen -- it was obvious he had no intention of cooperating. I warned him that if he didn't stop and walk nice with me, that I would carry him out.  Still no cooperation.  I picked him up and carried him out - kicking and screaming.

Two minutes into our drive home he said "I'm sorry I didn't listen, Momma." 

For those who have had their kids tantrum in public, any advice?  Or have you just resorted to carrying them out like I did?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
Oostera
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I can't recall an out and out fit, but she has screamed and cried in public before. Depending on what we are doing or how necessary it is for me to be out right then, I either pick her up and leave or I wait until she is done crying to continue my shopping. Generally speaking, it never lasts long. She likes to grocery shop with me so if I am not moving and waiting her out, she stops pretty quickly. Usually I don't go out to the store unless I absolutely need to, though.

Aleta775
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I let my dd kick and scream on the floor at Target. She wanted to play with a toy and I wouldn't let her. I just calmly stood there with my arms crossed, and waited for her to finish. I just leaned against a column and waited. It was funny too because there was an old lady walking by and she was giving me the stink eye. I just looked at her, gave her a quick nod and said, "Great day isn't it?" I didn't care what people thought of me. I had to get some things, and I didn't have time to make a second trip.

When my dd calmed down, she sat up and was still snuffing. I talked to her and told her that she couldn't get any treats and could not add a start to her rewards chart. She would have to sit in the cart until I got what I needed. Then we were going right home, and we would not stop at the park. She said okay. I put her in the cart and she was perfect the rest of the time.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Oh ya several of them. She is 6 1/2 but once she realizes no one is paying attention she stops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnaNonamus
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I have 2 autistic children. Melt down's in public were a normal thing when they were younger. They have mostly grown out of it, or rather, I have gotten better at telling when they have reached their limits, and gotten them out of where ever we were. They do have more patience now, though, than when they were younger

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Yes my 3 year old has had a couple. You did the absolute right thing. Chances are that it won't happen again.

When your kid has a tantrum in public (which they ALL do at some point) and you give them want they want is when you're going to have a big problem on your hands.

That is the frustrating thing.....he has had tantrums in public before, and I never gave in to what he wanted.  There was one in WalMart where I left my cart at customer service, took my son out to the car to calm down, returned and purchased my groceries.

i do think that this time he was really able to 'think about' what he did - and how it didn't work for him...., so maybe (hopefully) this will be the last time.  

KeimUNCmomof3
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh Gosh YES!  My daughter is almost 5 and she fusses and cries about EVERYTHING!  Ugh, drama from the beginning.

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Well it doesn't sound like he does it all the time, which is good. Smart kids test their parents sometimes... It's part of learning. Just keep doing what you're doing!

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Yes my 3 year old has had a couple. You did the absolute right thing. Chances are that it won't happen again.

When your kid has a tantrum in public (which they ALL do at some point) and you give them want they want is when you're going to have a big problem on your hands.

That is the frustrating thing.....he has had tantrums in public before, and I never gave in to what he wanted.  There was one in WalMart where I left my cart at customer service, took my son out to the car to calm down, returned and purchased my groceries.

i do think that this time he was really able to 'think about' what he did - and how it didn't work for him...., so maybe (hopefully) this will be the last time.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Yes, and I have actually abandoned a cart with stuff in it, apologizing to the worker nearest me for it. My middle child would do it in the library during my older sons story time.
They all grew out of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Thank you! Because all these moms saying their kid has never had a tantrum was making me wonder because mine have them all the time. Well ok, 1 out of 3 has them all the time, the other 2 aren't nearly as bad. The one who has them a lot has many delays/issues but still. All of mine at one time or another have had them!

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk what child hasn't had a tantrum anywhere

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Kael's in public tantrums are , 9 times out of 10, actually over stimulation issues. But, yeah, I normally just pick him up and take him out. (Well, I can't anymore.. he is 6 and about the size of a 10 or 11 yr old)

So, other than taking him outside and letting him calm down, then trying again (you were on your way out anyway) just haul him back to the car, and go home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured