Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has your child ever had a tantrum in public?

...or a tantrum at all?

Tonight I took my son to an ice cream shop.  Before going, I reminded him that he needed to be a good boy and sit nice and listen to Mommy.  He said "yes, I will be a good boy!" (which WAY MORE times than not, he is).

We sat together and enjoyed a Sweet Strawberry Sensation ice cream treat.  When we were done, he pretended to play some Pack-Man on their old-school video game.  When he was bored with that, he said he wanted more ice cream.  I told him "No, we already had our treat -- we're going to go home soon -- let's get your coat on."  --- This was followed by him laying on the ground, kicking and protesting.  This behavior has NEVER gotten him his way, so I'm frustrated that he still tests it (he's 3 1/2).

After asking him to please get up -- and to please listen -- it was obvious he had no intention of cooperating. I warned him that if he didn't stop and walk nice with me, that I would carry him out.  Still no cooperation.  I picked him up and carried him out - kicking and screaming.

Two minutes into our drive home he said "I'm sorry I didn't listen, Momma." 

For those who have had their kids tantrum in public, any advice?  Or have you just resorted to carrying them out like I did?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM
2 moms liked this

My dd wasn't even two and had a fit at Baskin Robins becaue they didn't have pink ice cream.  I laid out next to her a threw a fit too.  She stood up, looked at me, and told me I was bad.  Never did it again.  I have used this same technique for lots of things..  Whining, asking the same question over and over, rude tone of voice, lying, and all sorts of other things..  Most recently taking something from my room without asking..  She is 9. I went in her room and took all her pillows and blankets.  She got the point real quick. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I speak very loudly and let my child know that everyone in the store is looking at him.  They will get self consious about the behavior and stop.  The reason i speak loudly is so people will look if they were not before.  It really worked with my boys.  I have never taken them out of the store for their behavior.  That would give them an out in the future if they did not want to be shopping, then they would just throw a fit and know that i would go home.

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I did that at home with him when he was 18 mths to 2 yrs old --- he did stop and would look at me like "What the???"  It was pretty funny!

I haven't used that in a long time, but it did work!  Though, I never used it in public (I don't think I'd have the guts)....and now that he's older, he doesn't have tantrums much anymore so they really catch me off guard and all I can think is "pick him up and get out of there!"

Quoting F_Stathouse:

It works literally, Ive did it Ingles and my son started giggling and said do i look that silly.

yep u do i said hehe. People looked and a few laughed. lol

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

I know right? DS is usually behaved, but when he throws a tantrum its a head turner. I've been told by several people to 'throw a tantrum' myself to show him how ridiculous it looks but I'm not that brave.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees. You did good. 

Lol!  So, I'm not alone?  Thanks for saying I did good.  It is rare when he acts that way so I don't always feel prepared to deal with it.  In hindsight I think "maybe I should have given him more 'warning' that we were going to leave".....but then I realize that my decision to leave was more based on his behavior, so the warning I usually give was no longer an option.

Sigh -- parenthood.  If there were only an 'if this, then that' manual for every situation!

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM

For this situation I wasn't shopping, but at a restaurant --- but, when he had a meltdown while grocery shopping, I did remove him, but we didn't go home.  I just took him to the car and told him he needed to take a deep breath and calm down.  After he calmed down, I went back in the store and finished my shopping.  Thankfully, that only happened once.

Quoting Anonymous:

I speak very loudly and let my child know that everyone in the store is looking at him.  They will get self consious about the behavior and stop.  The reason i speak loudly is so people will look if they were not before.  It really worked with my boys.  I have never taken them out of the store for their behavior.  That would give them an out in the future if they did not want to be shopping, then they would just throw a fit and know that i would go home.

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd wasn't even two and had a fit at Baskin Robins becaue they didn't have pink ice cream.  I laid out next to her a threw a fit too.  She stood up, looked at me, and told me I was bad.  Never did it again.  I have used this same technique for lots of things..  Whining, asking the same question over and over, rude tone of voice, lying, and all sorts of other things..  Most recently taking something from my room without asking..  She is 9. I went in her room and took all her pillows and blankets.  She got the point real quick. 

Wow, I don't think, no, I KNOW I couldn't be so brave as to lay down next to him in public while he's having a tantrum!  Good for you!!!  I will take your advice about the whining and asking questions over and over (for that I have told him "The answer is no.  Please stop asking.") -- I think it is a great strategy to give them a 'taste of their own medicine'!

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM

My son is like yours, he's had his tantrums but more often then not he's great. Sounds like you did perfect and just gotta stick with the consistancy.

Mama2ETA
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Yes. Are you kidding? ;) I have a 3.5, 6, and 7 year old. I consider a tantrum at even less than throwing themselves onto the floor. My oldest hates going to the store. Every time he would HAVE to go, he threw a fit. I stay home, so they had to go with me sometimes (I prefer going alone when dh is home). So, since he was wanting to leave, I stayed at the store until I was done. He didn't win. Not once. After a bit it stopped. He was always in the cart, and I had an infant with me too, so I rarely brought them. You did good!

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM

No, not yet. He is two - we have plenty of time. I think 3 will be our year. 

He whines, he cries, but no tantrums.  

Sammybby09
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM
I don't wanna jynx myself since i'm going grocery shopping tomorrow., lol. But he is usually behaved. Buy I will say this, he will be 3 next month and I've got a little while longer for him to throw one. Lol.
You did good in that situation because that's what I would do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting one_on_the_way:

For this situation I wasn't shopping, but at a restaurant --- but, when he had a meltdown while grocery shopping, I did remove him, but we didn't go home.  I just took him to the car and told him he needed to take a deep breath and calm down.  After he calmed down, I went back in the store and finished my shopping.  Thankfully, that only happened once.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't see how you could have done it differently in the situation that you were in as you were already planning on leaving and he did not get the treat he was yelling for.  I think it's part of his age.  He is just trying to see which situations he can be in control of and you stood you ground.  He might be like my second son and have to test you at each place you visit.  It will pass soon.  And from experiance, the continued talking about what you are going to do and how he should behave before you go(like you did) still helps with my seven year old.  Maybe when he is acting out, remind him of something he would like to do when you get home and let him know he needs to be a big boy to get to do that activity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)