Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has your child ever had a tantrum in public?

...or a tantrum at all?

Tonight I took my son to an ice cream shop.  Before going, I reminded him that he needed to be a good boy and sit nice and listen to Mommy.  He said "yes, I will be a good boy!" (which WAY MORE times than not, he is).

We sat together and enjoyed a Sweet Strawberry Sensation ice cream treat.  When we were done, he pretended to play some Pack-Man on their old-school video game.  When he was bored with that, he said he wanted more ice cream.  I told him "No, we already had our treat -- we're going to go home soon -- let's get your coat on."  --- This was followed by him laying on the ground, kicking and protesting.  This behavior has NEVER gotten him his way, so I'm frustrated that he still tests it (he's 3 1/2).

After asking him to please get up -- and to please listen -- it was obvious he had no intention of cooperating. I warned him that if he didn't stop and walk nice with me, that I would carry him out.  Still no cooperation.  I picked him up and carried him out - kicking and screaming.

Two minutes into our drive home he said "I'm sorry I didn't listen, Momma." 

For those who have had their kids tantrum in public, any advice?  Or have you just resorted to carrying them out like I did?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Replies (41-50):
Kitschy
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I handle it the same way

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Yes, I know what you're talking about with the 'all these moms say their kid has never had a tantrum" (which is why I included that in my question).....to those moms, I think they are either lying (why?  denial -- or to make themselves look 'better') -- or, they give in to their child (not cool and will bite them later -- I mean, what happens when they finally tell their kid 'no'?), or are experts at avoiding the meltdowns (next to impossible - and not always the best thing (almost overprotective)), or they simply have a very mild tempered child who has never tested them in that way (which says nothing about their parenting and everything about 'every child is different' -- some really ARE more laid back than others).  

Glad to know you aren't alone....because that means I'm not alone!

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you! Because all these moms saying their kid has never had a tantrum was making me wonder because mine have them all the time. Well ok, 1 out of 3 has them all the time, the other 2 aren't nearly as bad. The one who has them a lot has many delays/issues but still. All of mine at one time or another have had them!

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk what child hasn't had a tantrum anywhere

Ayla-bellesmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Once in public. She was three.

I removed her immediately. Never happened before that and never happened again. She's 5 now.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting one_on_the_way:

For this situation I wasn't shopping, but at a restaurant --- but, when he had a meltdown while grocery shopping, I did remove him, but we didn't go home.  I just took him to the car and told him he needed to take a deep breath and calm down.  After he calmed down, I went back in the store and finished my shopping.  Thankfully, that only happened once.

Quoting Anonymous:

I speak very loudly and let my child know that everyone in the store is looking at him.  They will get self consious about the behavior and stop.  The reason i speak loudly is so people will look if they were not before.  It really worked with my boys.  I have never taken them out of the store for their behavior.  That would give them an out in the future if they did not want to be shopping, then they would just throw a fit and know that i would go home.

I don't see how you could have done it differently in the situation that you were in as you were already planning on leaving and he did not get the treat he was yelling for.  I think it's part of his age.  He is just trying to see which situations he can be in control of and you stood you ground.  He might be like my second son and have to test you at each place you visit.  It will pass soon.  And from experiance, the continued talking about what you are going to do and how he should behave before you go(like you did) still helps with my seven year old.  Maybe when he is acting out, remind him of something he would like to do when you get home and let him know he needs to be a big boy to get to do that activity.

Thank you!  That is really good advice about the activity he likes to do at home and reminding him that he can only do that if he behaves like a big boy!  I think that advice will serve us well in the future :o)

cLanief
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM
umm hes a. Child.... Right? Dont they all? And yes ive carried my son out of places kicking and screaming or over my shoulder. Or holding him like a foot ball. I still do and my son is a smidge over a foot shorter than me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockabillybetty
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Small or No its a Tantrum lol right!!?! My lds have them i have them their dad has them just some people dont want to admit it because they've made an "image" for themselves on CM my kiddies are pros at it lol i agree with yall

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you! Because all these moms saying their kid has never had a tantrum was making me wonder because mine have them all the time. Well ok, 1 out of 3 has them all the time, the other 2 aren't nearly as bad. The one who has them a lot has many delays/issues but still. All of mine at one time or another have had them!

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk what child hasn't had a tantrum anywhere

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM

A few small ones as very young toddlers, I don't think he's thrown one in public after he was two though, and it's never been a kicking screaming one, I don't think he's thrown one of those in public or private, he's just not the tantrum type. He knows the consequences. When he did, we took him outside and put him in timeout until he was done, then had him go back in and finish what we asked. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Honestly, none of my three have thrown a public tantrum. The closest I had the other day was leaving the chick-a-la play place and my three year old yelled no at me. However, you did everything right so I wouldn't worry.

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Quoting LucyHarper:

A few small ones as very young toddlers, I don't think he's thrown one in public after he was two though, and it's never been a kicking screaming one, I don't think he's thrown one of those in public or private, he's just not the tantrum type. He knows the consequences. When he did, we took him outside and put him in timeout until he was done, then had him go back in and finish what we asked. 

I see you added to your first reply.....I was in the middle of asking "if he's never had big tantrums, how does he know the consequences?"....

though, I am still curious -- he's not the tantrum type, yet when he has them you take him OUTSIDE?  And what does he have to 'finish' when he comes back inside.  I'm sorry - I'm just confused what you do.  

LucyHarper
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting LucyHarper:

I see you added to your first reply.....I was in the middle of asking "if he's never had big tantrums, how does he know the consequences?"....

though, I am still curious -- he's not the tantrum type, yet when he has them you take him OUTSIDE?  And what does he have to 'finish' when he comes back inside.  I'm sorry - I'm just confused what you do.  

He's not the tantrum type, as in he's never thrown a on the ground kicking and screaming tantrum, but he did on occasion as a young toddler throw small tantrums, just whining, crying, not listening type. If he started acting like that he got one warning to behave, if he didn't, we went outside so he wouldn't be disturbing others, he could throw his tantrum, and we would sit there in timeout until he was done with his tantrum and was ready to behave, then we would go back in and finish what we were doing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN