Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Teenager is NOT a CHILD...

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a teenager she is seventeen, she will always be my child even as an adult. However...

She is not a child. I do not allow my young children to drive cars, work, make decisions that require maturity and ability to think about your decision. She is a teenager, neither a child or an adult (yet).

My job is not to baby her like she is five years old. My job is to PREPARE her for the adult world. She is a Senior in High School not a first grader in Elementary school.

I honestly cannot figure out why any rational woman thinks that a teenager is a "child" and treats them like one.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes. 

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Replies (301-305):
sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Maks1mommy:

I wish that everybody that doesn't have a teenager, would just shut the hell up. I don't have a teenager, I'm damn sure not going to pretend I know how to deal with one. It's pretty ridiculous that somebody with a 6 year old thinks its the same thing as a 16 year old.

Thank you. I have a 15 yr old and a 23 yr old. They are not babies.

true-love-21
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:41 AM

LOL i thought u were an overweight crazy cat lady at first but u sure did prove me wrong bc i saw a pic of u haha

Quoting thetrollcat:

I get around meow LOL

Quoting true-love-21:

agreed. U sure are popular on here! I just saw ur daughters senior pics that u posted! :)

mummy1990
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Yeah, my mothers not a good person, to her core, shes just an angry, self absorbed individual. Closest thing that my brothers and I have been able to identify her as, through lots of therapy, because our mother messed us up that bad, is shes a classic narcissistic personality. 

Quoting AllofFive19:

That had to have been so frustrating. I can't imagine treating my child like that, no matter what their age.

Quoting mummy1990:

My mom had this issue. She wanted me to be an adult, but she treated me like a child. Like seriously, it was the most irritating thing. LIke, one day, she just up and took my computer away, without ANY reason that I could think of, just that she didn't trust it being in my room. I was 17......and then later she told me I needed to get a job. Which I did have, granted it was under the table, so it wasn't a real job, but still, I made more money than she did. Shes a system bleeder. Even at 19 years old, she treated me like a child. I was going to college full time, AND I had a fulltime job, and she expected me to be home every night so that I could clean the house, even though I was hardly home ever, and literally, no mess in the house was made by my hand, but my mom would claim that shes tired of cleaning up after me, which made no sense because I was never home, and the fact that I made more money than her probably pissed her off. I paid rent too. Every check I gave her $100 out of it, every check. Which was more than half of my check, so I was paying $400 a month in rent, for a room, that didn't even have four walls, I had a curtain that connected to the living room. It was either that, or share a room with my mother, because she just can't sleep in the same room as my step dad....living with my mother was the worst.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Im a frisky playful kitty your normal feline ;)

Quoting true-love-21:

LOL i thought u were an overweight crazy cat lady at first but u sure did prove me wrong bc i saw a pic of u haha

Quoting thetrollcat:

I get around meow LOL

Quoting true-love-21:

agreed. U sure are popular on here! I just saw ur daughters senior pics that u posted! :)

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes. 

Jesseen
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Agreed. If you do, you will have an unprepared adult on your hands. Or a better way to look at it is you are giving them an unnecessary handicap when you could be giving them the training they need for the most crucial years of their life.

Also, I told my teenagers that if they wanted to engage in "adult activities" they would as well have adult jobs and pay adult bills, buy their own school supplies as well as provide their own transportation. If they wanted to live under my roof and have the benifits that came with it, they would have to wait to date until the last semester of their senior year. This worked well with my oldest. I let it slip with my next one and it resulted in complete chaos. Stick to your guns!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured