Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A Teenager is NOT a CHILD...

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a teenager she is seventeen, she will always be my child even as an adult. However...

She is not a child. I do not allow my young children to drive cars, work, make decisions that require maturity and ability to think about your decision. She is a teenager, neither a child or an adult (yet).

My job is not to baby her like she is five years old. My job is to PREPARE her for the adult world. She is a Senior in High School not a first grader in Elementary school.

I honestly cannot figure out why any rational woman thinks that a teenager is a "child" and treats them like one.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes. 

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Replies (41-50):
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM
STOP WATCHING ME THROUGH THE WINDOW! ITS COLD OUT THERE. GET BACK IN MY CLOSET! i HAVE BLANKETS IN THERE FOR YOU.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Which makes it REALLY creepy

put your boob away!

Quoting spooky415:

YOU'RE OLDER THAN ME.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

you breast fed me until i was 39

shut up!

Quoting spooky415:

You're not still breastfeeding her? I'm calling CPS.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM
STOP WATCHING ME THROUGH THE WINDOW! ITS COLD OUT THERE. GET BACK IN MY CLOSET! i HAVE BLANKETS IN THERE FOR YOU.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Which makes it REALLY creepy

put your boob away!

Quoting spooky415:

YOU'RE OLDER THAN ME.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

you breast fed me until i was 39

shut up!

Quoting spooky415:

You're not still breastfeeding her? I'm calling CPS.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM

OMG I think we are related!

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I agree with you 100%. A teen is a minor but not a child. I think of 16-17 as the time to step back and provide guidance. But I'm not going to check backpacks every night and all the other things I do for a kid in elementary school. I think it provides a bit of a disservice for teens to not learn how to make their own decisions.

I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I refuse to coddle my kids as they get older either. DS is special needs and I am even preparing him for the real world. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM
That one got to me too. Teenagers are children in the sense that they really need somebody to help them sort out logic and reasoning. But, come on! If I were that girl I'd want to do something for a little more control over my life as well!

Quoting thetrollcat:

I havent seen that post but no I was inspired by the SD being pregnant AGAIN lol

Quoting louzannalady:

Is this about the "I want to know every detail of my teenager's gyno visit and violate her rights." post?

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM

i think everyone in a house hold should respect the household collective.

I'm not too concerned with "rules" once my child is of age to bear his own consequence.

Quoting AllofFive19:

I never said that a 17 year old should be treated as a 5 year old or a 12 year old. In fact I specifically stated that you can treat a child as an adult (ie, allowing them to be responsible for certain things in their life, having them drive places, placing responsibilities on them that you would not place on a younger child), but still require that they follow the house rules, because they are, in fact, a child.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

It doesn't matter what you call them

a 17 year old is not the same as a 5 year old or 12 year old and shouldn't be treated as such.

No matter what WORD you use to describe their age.

Quoting AllofFive19:

A juvenile is just a fancy word for "child".

Quoting thetrollcat:

in my state they are called juvenile or adolescents. Obviously some states are hooked on broken phonics.

Quoting AllofFive19:

Until a person is 19 (in my state) they are a child. An older child, but nonetheless a child. You can treat a child as an adult and still ask that he or she follow the rules of the house because they are not yet an adult. 

winkyloafer
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Everyone is always going to be someone's child but it doesn't mean they should all be treated like they're dependent on everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM

well fine 36 

Quoting Anonymous:

LMAO 32? Older than that honey.

Quoting thetrollcat:

I dont give a damn you burst my bubbles your so called I know it all didnt change my mind she is nto a child.

So how old are you talking? 32?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but yea, a teenager is a child! When you get to be my age, you realize that they are still kids. Shit, even a 21 year old is still a kid to me even though they are legally an adult at age 18.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM

who are you lecturing????

*Looks around*

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Age appropriate rules, Age appropriate expectations. What those rules and expectations are for their ages will vary from parent and household. But I don't think you're doing your teens a favor by restricting their independence and limiting their decisions. The time to learn from your poor choices are while you're still within the support of your parents. Ie teenage and early adulthood.

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM

This will be on the test - I hope you're taking notes.

Quoting thetrollcat:

who are you lecturing????

*Looks around*

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Age appropriate rules, Age appropriate expectations. What those rules and expectations are for their ages will vary from parent and household. But I don't think you're doing your teens a favor by restricting their independence and limiting their decisions. The time to learn from your poor choices are while you're still within the support of your parents. Ie teenage and early adulthood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)