Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Will young marriages fail?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Do you think people that get married when they are young are doomed?  I got married at19.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Replies (231-240):
KeimUNCmomof3
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM

and really happy, probably the most lovey-dovey, I've ever seen an older couple, especially since they've been together since MIL was 15.

msmom29
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM
I wouldn't say doomed. Maybe if you hadn't known each other long. But a lot of high school sweet hearts end up marrying young and make it. I think the people who aren't really natured when they marry young end up splitting , they grow up and apart. But no I don't think all young couples are doomed fail.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Not always. It depends on the individuals' values, the way they were raised, what's important to them, etc. My parents were married when mom was not quite 21, Dad was barely 23. They've been married fifty years already. Granted, things were very different in 1963, but they come from the old school way of thinking. My mom's family is old school Italian. Her parents were married almost 25 years when grandpa died (he was only 46...heart attack). My father's parents divorced when he was only 2, and his dad knocked up his mistress. Dad grew up with an absentee father, and swore he'd never put his kids through that pain. Some people are selfish and have the attitude of "If it doesn't work out there's always divorce." Some people take their vows very seriously, and would rather duke it out than divorce. Some are Catholic, and very old school. Hell, some couples getting married in their 30's don't make it past their first wedding anniversary. You have to go by the individuals' values, not their age.
Sassy01
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM
My dh and I got married when I was 20 and he was 21, we had dated for 2yrs and now, we have been.together 28yrs and married for 26 of those yrs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Thinking of everyone i can who has been married. Excluding under 5years...

Mine didn't last, I was 18
DFs didn't, he was 19
Sis's didn't, she was 19
Dad's didn't, he was 16
Friend A didn't, she was 30
Aunt V didn't, she was 22
Friend D didn't, he was 19
Friend S didn't, she was 39

Grandparents did, they were 20 & 30
STBMIL lasted until he passed away, they were 29 & 33
XILs are still married, they were 18
Friend M has been married 5 years, she was 25
Friend T has been married 20 years next month, she was 25
Friend P has been married 42 years, they were 18 & 20
Aunt C has been married 30 years, she was 27

Based on the people I can think of it kinda looks like the chances are decreased that young marriages will last. But I don't think that means young love won't last. My bro has been married almost 2 years to his HS sweetheart. They have been together 11 years now. And as you can see a few people I know we're very young and it has lasted.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mach5
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM

We married at 18/20. Still married 34 1/2 yrs later.

jeannie39
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM

No, of course not. Many young couples stay married their whole lives. Generations ago, before divorce became acceptable, it was the norm. It depends on the people, how much they want the marriage to work or whether they give up easily. I think a lot of people now give up at the first sign of trouble. Some couples get divorced over the craziest thing or after only trying for a few months.It is a lot easier to divorce now, also. People don't look down on divorcee' like they use to. I truly believe any couple can make a marriage work if they both work together and respect one another. No marriage is doomed, if it was a true marriage in the beginning, regardless of age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

These days, I think marrying young is almost guaranteed not to last. Times are certainly different in terms of marriage. My parents married at 18 and 21 and still ended up divorced 20 years later. These days though, 20 years would qualify for a trophy.

AmyG1976
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM

my parents were 18 and 19 together since 14 they are still married dh and I moved in together when I was 18 married at 20 and almost 24 just celebrated 16 years :)  dh grandparents got married at 18 and 17 (he lied about his age had no birth cert to be able to work ect she knew he was pretending to be 20) they were married till he died at 89 (real age took some work but it was figured out homebirth and before records was hard but preaty sure 89 was the age) dh parents got married days after his mom turned 18 dad was already 18 they are still married...

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

We started dating when I was 15, found out I was pregnant when I was 19, got married.  Been married 11 years, together 15.  I do not see a divorce in our near future.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN