Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Will young marriages fail?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Do you think people that get married when they are young are doomed?  I got married at19.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Replies (31-40):
bchic24
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:14 AM
No I got married at 22
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Statistically yes. Because most young people are immature. I knew this post would be full of "I got married at _____teen years and we're still married" comments.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:17 AM
I think almost anyone who gets married this day and age has a doomed relationship according to divorce rates. The odds are against it. Younger or older.

With that said, I married at 22. My dh was 27. We got together at 18 and 23. We're still together.
bcoll
by Brandi on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Maturity, and the willingness to commit to being a family and team forever depend on the people involved and not soley an age. We married a few weeks after our 21st birthdays, and are still enjoying our marriage almost 14 years later.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:18 AM

no its all about maturity, not age. me and my husband got married when he was 19 and I was 22. 10 yrs later we still going strong.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Not necessarily... My Il's got married young and they will celebrate 43 years of marriage in February... Dh and I got married at 20 after dating for 4 years and we will celebrate 17 years next month.. my brother and his wife got married in their early 20's and they will celebrate 25 years in June.. my BIL and his wife just celebrated 16 years this past August and they got married when they were 18... 

I think it depends on the couple, how they view marriage, and the effort they put into their marriage. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

kzuehlk
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:21 AM
I got married at 20. We divorced just over a year later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends what you consider "success".  Any marriage can fail.  If you stay together but aren't happy, if your marriage is more like an endurance competition where you feel that you have to outlast your spouse, that's definitely a failed marriage.  Marriage shouldn't be about how long you're together.  If you jump into it at a young age, not knowing much about yourself, yes, you probably won't be happy in the long run. 

Still, I don't think it's about being young as much as it is misconceptions about what marriage and partnership should be.

If you learn how to communicate and make an effort to grow together and not apart, you'll be happier staying together.  Quality, not quantity is the goal.

And orgasms.  Lots and lots of orgasms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Lol me too. Sometimes I wonder the intellectual ability of this group. They are almost incapable of forming a statistical opinion outside of personal experience

Quoting Anonymous:

Statistically yes. Because most young people are immature. I knew this post would be full of "I got married at _____teen years and we're still married" comments.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM
I wouldn't say doomed... I got married at 20. However, I do feel like it was a bit rushed, and looking back on it, he feels the same. We have been through a lot in our marriage so far, and it almost collapsed. Once we got into counseling and committed ourselves to working on our relationship, things got better. Our communication, understanding, trust, and respect for each others feelings increased drastically through counseling, and had we not decided to put all of our combined effort into this, we would have divorced two years ago. Not because of lack of love, but because we were awful at communication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)