Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My step son broke my boys' XBOX 360 update with a poll

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Which is better

Options:

No Christmas presents for SS

Make him work it off over the next 5 months and until he works it off he may not use the xbox at all

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 197

View Results

He was mad because when he came over the other day, my boys were already playing a game and didn't want to start over so that he can play (they said he could play next game). He got so mad that they wouldn't let him play that he picked up the xbox and threw it. It is now broken. I think that we should replace the xbox for my kids instead of buying SS's Christmas presents. DH thinks that we should just replace the XBOX and still get SS's Christmas and just get all the kids less for Christmas (so that we have the money to buy the new XBOX.) I don't think it's fair to my kids to get less for Christmas so that we can replace the XBOX that SS broke. What do you think?

Me and DH are currently talking and we are thinking that another idea might be better. Instead of not giving him Christmas presents make him pay it off buy doing a certain list of chores each time he comes over for the next 5 months (only a couple hours each since, understandable, DH does want to spend time with him). In addition to making him do the chores, he can't use the new xbox, which we will have to buy, until he pays it off. Then I am also thinking that even then, he should have to ask my sons if he may use it since it is their's.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Replies (41-50):
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM
I agree
He is also the parent, so all the blame shouldnt go to the mom having to pay for a replacement

Does the kid get an allowance?
Maybe deduct it to pay for the xbox
He does have to learn his lesson for what he did, but minimizing gifts for your sons is not right and Christmas is Christmas and i dont believe in not giving SS any gifts for what he did
Still give him gifts, but maybe punish him another way, since christmas isnt for another month. And if SS has a gaming system, maybe take his away for awhile

Quoting Anonymous:

The mom (who he lives with most of the time) is not willing to replace it and we can't make her since DH is also his parent

Quoting Anonymous:

I think birth mom should buy your son a new Xbox.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liyoness
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Awesome. Let's show our preference for the children through gift giving.

Why don't you try getting to the root of why the kid was that angry?

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

He is only here 4 days a month, that's not enough time for him to work it off.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting Anonymous:

here is the difference between you and me.  i wouldnt replace the xbox, i would make SS replace the x box by doing chores and earning "money" from you and dh so that HE can buy his brother a new one for christmas.

This. He broke it, he should replace it. Make him work it off.

That's plenty of time for him to work it off. It might take a while but he can do it. You and your husband should go ahead and buy it, but every time SS comes over he would have a list of chores to do until the X-Box is paid off. He can rake leaves, scrub the toilet, clean the garage and wash the cars.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Since he is only here 4 days a month, he would be working it off till close to summer and that would be if he spent most his time over here doing chores.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your dh isn't willing to go through with the Christmas idea I would make ss work off a new Xbox. He'd be my personal slave until Christmas.

Michellina11234
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

He ruined my sons' favorite thing, what about them? We don't have the money to just replace it and still get everyone the same Christmas presents we are planning to get.

Quoting Michellina11234:

I realize he was wrong, but you want to take Christmas away from a child?

I understand what you are saying, I have 3 step daughters. But I don't think I could ever take away a holiday like that. Have  you looked into having it repaired?

HunternChase
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Agreed

Quoting BabyBrooke13:

well when you married dh you married all of him including his son . . . his son became your son and the xbox was his too . . . I do not agree with his behavior, but i also don't agree with taking away something that only comes around once a year . . . if each kid got a little less they wouldn't make a big deal out of it unless you did . . . i would still make sure your ss got gift for xmas, but because of his behavior I also wouldn't let him play with the new xbox for a long while . . .

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM

So my sons have to go without their xbox for months so that he still gets presents????

Quoting svolkov:

You should make him work off the money for a new one in chores etc. He should still get an xmas present as should your kids. Once hes workes off a certain amount then u buy another(say tax return time)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I think your dh should replace the Xbox and buy his own kid presents and you should buy yours. Unless yours are his. If that's the case, I agree with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Does he normally lose his temper like this?

It needs to be replaced and I honestly think that the boy's Mom should help foot some of the cost, but because she won't, why not have him work it off there at your home? Yard Work, house chores, laundry, etc. He's old enough to help out that way and this way he might get an actual lesson.

Don't ditch the boy on Christmas gifts as punishment. I'm definitely not excusing his behavior but I'd try to do something a little more productive as far as discipline.

Why didn't your son's let him play?

thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Oh hell no I dont think the other kids should be punished for that XBox and I certainly hope that the step son is grounded and not permitted to have access or use anything expensive in the home. That kids needs to be PUNISHED. I would make him work off the value of that XBOX

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)