Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homeschooling mommies!! I need to know

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 30 Replies
How do you do it? How do you even get started? I'm seriously consideriing it! My son is struggling a lot in school and they have big class sizes and they're not giving him the help he needs. So where do I start looking into it? Any advice? Thanks ladies :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crescentstar2
by Anne on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Try googling start homeschooling and see what sites come up. I'm not a homeschoolers but I was homeschooled for part of hs. Good luck 

kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Thank you...I have a question for you too then lol did it mess up your social life? Did you like or dislike it? I wanted to be bc I hated hs but my mom never had enough patience haha

Quoting crescentstar2:

Try googling start homeschooling and see what sites come up. I'm not a homeschoolers but I was homeschooled for part of hs. Good luck 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crescentstar2
by Anne on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Didn't have a social life at the time we had just moved across country, I know that there are homeschooling groups that have meet up. They do dances and things so that the kids can have a social life. I had no problem with it, and eventually made some friends. :-)

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

Thank you...I have a question for you too then lol did it mess up your social life? Did you like or dislike it? I wanted to be bc I hated hs but my mom never had enough patience haha

Quoting crescentstar2:

kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Aww thats good, I didn't know they had stuff like that, that's awesome :) thank you

Quoting crescentstar2:

Didn't have a social life at the time we had just moved across country, I know that there are homeschooling groups that have meet up. They do dances and things so that the kids can have a social life. I had no problem with it, and eventually made some friends. :-)

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

Quoting crescentstar2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crescentstar2
by Anne on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Try one of the homeschooling groups on here. They should have loads of info for you

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

Aww thats good, I didn't know they had stuff like that, that's awesome :) thank you

Quoting crescentstar2:

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

Quoting crescentstar2:

jen2150
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM

First, find out your laws.  Then I would start looking around for homeschooling groups.  Do your research.  I would check out some books at your local library.  There are so many ways to home school.  Be flexible and try different things until you find what works for you.  If you have any other questions just let me know.  I am homeschooling a 3rd and 5th grader.  We have also been doing it from the very beginning.  Good luck and have fun.

stefvan
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Look at hslda.org so you know your state laws and requirements.

momNstinks
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM

When my oldest was in public school, all i needed to do was register with the school board and write a letter to his school letting them know he was going to be home schooled. But like the previous poster said, you need to check out the laws for your state. I live in KS and it's really easy to home school here. I love home schooling.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
starbuckmom03
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM

This!  HSLDA is your friend and don't forget it!

Next, find a homeschool group in your area.  Find out if they have a new homeschoolers meeting.  If so, go to it.  This is the next big thing for you to do.  Don't try and homeschool alone.  Having others around you that you can get together with and talk with is huge.  Support!  Once you get to know people, you can start asking opinions on curriculum.  You can either piece together or buy a packaged deal.

Starting out can be very overwhelming.  But, you can get through it one step at a time.

We are in our first year and I have stumbled here and there but doing ok.  I couldn't have done it w/o all my friends who have been homeschooling a lot  longer than me.

For curriculum:  Find out how you want to teach.  What method.  How does your child learn?

The library is another of your friends!   FInd any book by Cathy Duffy.  She has some great resources for homeschooling.

Another author is Mary Griffith.

Check out www.homeschoolreviews.com  I found a few of my pieces just from the reviews.

Quoting stefvan:

Look at hslda.org so you know your state laws and requirements.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM

get a computer stick em on the computer let them learn by themselves

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)