Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help My Starving Dog.

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM
  • 108 Replies

(Edit, for those that are in a hurry, the gyst is in bold) 

I do not know if I have a problem or not...

but would like the opinion of other pet owners. 

I have a dog named Holly, she is about 60 pounds she is an Irish Wolf Hound Crossed with a Shepard. 

The above is a photo of her after she got her spring hair cut, she is usually very very furry, thick thick fur so it is hard throughout most of the year to see her "figure". 

When she got shaved she was so adorable as you can see but I was just astounded at how THIN she was.  I always pictured this fat chunk of a dog underneath all that fur. 

I experience this shock every spring (she is 3 years old)...This is where my possble problem comes in.

I have never gotten her to eat her dog food very well.  We give her a couple scoops full and she just picks at it.  Often a couple scoops would last her 3-4 days!  I have weaned her off and on DOZENS of different kinds of dog foods, the really expensive, the really cheap and several inbetween.

She likes Purina's Meaty Bites...those little plastic packages of soft bacon flavored dog food, meant to be more of a treat than anything I think.  

You know what she wont leave alone though???

The cat food. 

We have several mouser kitties, borderline ferral manx cats...We feed them Purina Alley Cat Seafood Sensation, Holly eats the shit out of it!  So does my other pup Lil'Shitter, she is a ShiTzu mixed with a Terrier im not worried about her weight though she is a sausage.  If anything her fat ass is on a diet.

So, I offer my pets a buffet of sorts.  From what I have found she tends to eat Science Diet the best, go figure the most expensive shit ever.  Even the cats eat that though!  See my problem? 

I can't afford to be feeding ferral mousers Science Diet, frankly Holly should not need Science Diet.  The only reason she even got a taste of Science Diet was because I have a friend whos dog died from old age and he gave me all of the dogs stuff.  He gave me a big bag of Science Diet for Gastrointestinal and Beggin Strips.  I of course didn't want it to go to waste and graciously accepted. 

Holly ate it alright, for real, could never get her to dig into...Takes several days for her to eat a medium bowl of dog food.  However other brands she just wouldn't hardly touch. 

Alley Cat however, YUM YUM...

All of my animals seem to be thoroughly satisfied with Alley Cat. 

Because of Holly's thinness im always trying to stuff her full, not a single scrap of food in this house is not presented to her.  I feed her a whole chicken every week (no bones of course), I feed her virtually ALL of our left overs and whenever im thawing out any kind of chops or roast or burger, Holly always gets a chunk.  She just isnt voracious.  I have to shoo the other cats away when its time for her chicken.  Most dogs would be really defensive and rip a cat in half for even sniffing their food. 

Not Holly, if I could read her mind she is like, "Oh you want some of my chicken?  Sure, let me go lay in the flower bed and ill just eat when you are done."...Lily however, weighing in at 10 pounds on her fattest day, she would rip Holly in half for sniffing her food.  She is like a hyena, the fur along her spine sticks straight up its hilarious. 

I have taken Holly to the vet for her regular checkups and they always tell me, "Yea, she is on the skinny side, but she is still healthy"...

I dont want her on the skinny side, I look at her and I just feel like she is starving!  I dont want her as fat as Lil'Shitter either though.  I want her just, bulky ya know?

If you have made it this far thank you, im going to put my big questions in bold for those that didn't make it lol...

QUESTION:  IS IT OKAY FOR DOGS TO EAT CAT FOOD???

QUESTION:  WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FATTEN UP MY SKINNY DOG??? 

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM
5 moms liked this
You gotta cut these posts down, girl. Always so long and drawn out.
diana1481
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Cat food is not good for dogs. Have you wormed her?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

No its not ok for the dog to eat cat food and the cats shouldnt be eating the seafood stuff and it would be way too expensive to feed a dog cat food and you need to put the cat food up where the dogs cant reach but the cats can and..... (takes a deep breath)

It is not HEALTHY for any animal to eat that soft shit as their main source of meal. What I do with my picky ass pug is, mix the soft with the dry. She will eat it like that. That way everyone is f'ing happy :)

thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM

and also if your dog is really hyper and active, a lot of dogs in that category are skinny.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Yea shes wormed....in her case u think its bad? I mean, she eats way more of it than any food ive given her. Is whatever is bad in cat food worse than her not eating enough?

Quoting diana1481:

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I know, I know, I just can't help myself...I like sharing the details : ) 

I edited it, so now the most important parts are in bold. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You gotta cut these posts down, girl. Always so long and drawn out.

diana1481
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM
It doesn't have all the proper nutrients a dog needs. Dog's always eat the catfood for some reason. Have you tried Gravy Train?

Quoting Matriarch87:

Yea shes wormed....in her case ur think its bad? I mean, she eats way more of it than any food ive given her. Is whatever is bad in cat food worse than her not eating enough?

Quoting diana1481:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
You can feed your dog whole raw chickens
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I don't see the problem.  If the vet continuosky says she is healthy, why are you worried?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM
From what I read you shouldn't feed cat food to puppies or overweight dogs but otherwise its ok....not ideal but ok
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)