Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Jackson Hewitt

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM
  • 39 Replies
On Tuesday we are going to do there Christmas loan. It takes money out of what we would already be getting in taxes. This is to help us get caught up on our bills and get the kids Christmas out of layaway.

I hate doing it but since I lost my job its the only thing we can do. We need to pay car lights and cell phones. We are only late on car and lights so its not to bad. We don't do anything extra besides layaway which is for the kids. Hopefully now we can be back on top like before I lost my job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM
I wouldn't do it! The tax laws are changing and it will fuck everything up and you may end up owing money to Jackson Hewitt!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:32 PM
I agree! It's a VERY bad idea.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't do it! The tax laws are changing and it will fuck everything up and you may end up owing money to Jackson Hewitt!
motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I didn't know you could do that. It's a good idea.

amy1will
by Amethyst on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM
I just found out today

Quoting motherslove82:

I didn't know you could do that. It's a good idea.

Lizardannie1966
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM

What is that loan based on? The upcoming taxes, I assume? Do you already have your W-2 for this tax year? I wouldn't think you would, but...?

amy1will
by Amethyst on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Its for the upcoming taxes and no we don't but we usually get a lot back. You only get 1000 and have to have a checking account.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

What is that loan based on? The upcoming taxes, I assume? Do you already have your W-2 for this tax year? I wouldn't think you would, but...?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
How much are they giving for Christmas loans this year? If its $1000 or so, you should be fine and still get a refund considering you obviously have children and will get child tax credit (& if you aren't making a lot, probably EIC too). I highly doubt you will end up OWING them. I've been in the tax business for 6 years so this is coming from experience. I actually think its a decent idea. H&R Block has always done Christmas loans but this is the first time I've known Jackson Hewitt to do them. And just a heads up for anybody who usually gets the refund anticipation loans (money in 24 hours or even a couple days after you file), NO banks are offering those this year so everyone will have to wait the 7-10 days.
amy1will
by Amethyst on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM
We get close to 10000 back every year and the lady said you only get 1000 for the loan.

Quoting Anonymous:

How much are they giving for Christmas loans this year? If its $1000 or so, you should be fine and still get a refund considering you obviously have children and will get child tax credit (& if you aren't making a lot, probably EIC too). I highly doubt you will end up OWING them. I've been in the tax business for 6 years so this is coming from experience. I actually think its a decent idea. H&R Block has always done Christmas loans but this is the first time I've known Jackson Hewitt to do them. And just a heads up for anybody who usually gets the refund anticipation loans (money in 24 hours or even a couple days after you file), NO banks are offering those this year so everyone will have to wait the 7-10 days.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Most of those tax laws don't go into effect until next tax season!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM
I say go for it... there will be some interest added to it but if its anything like H&R, they only charge the interest ONE time no matter what date you get your refund. Does Jackson Hewitt file your return every year?

Quoting amy1will:

We get close to 10000 back every year and the lady said you only get 1000 for the loan.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)