Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Elective c-section *no bashing please* at least until I get my answer lol

Posted by   + Show Post

So I induced both my children at 39 weeks, why because I wanted to so eat me. Anyway this time around my DR has asked if I would be interesting in a c-section at 37 or 38 weeks. Having never had one it seems like an odd question.

I have fast labor, like the first was 30, the second 20, and who knows this time. So the concern is going into labor at home. 

So my question is if you have had a c-section elective or otherwise would you do it again? And did your stomach go back to normal?

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My friend had a massive infection from her c-section. She had to have the incision packed daily. Babies born before 39 weeks run the risk of ending up in the NICU. I would never make my child suffer for selfish reasons.
smac28
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I had a c-section at 39 weeks bc i have a fake hip and its not in good shape, no one wanted to find out what would happen if I went into labor. . .my section was not bad at all. I felt great by 4 weeks and my belly went right back down to normal. I was up walking (very slowly) within two days, but its not bad at all.

ItsJustKell
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I've heard the elective c-sections have the best results because they're not just ripping you open.  One of my good friends has had 3 (2 elective 1 emergency) and her scar is teeny tiny. 

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Both. We were planning an induction due to the short labors but I have had a lot of complications so I think sh'e just worried. I'm 32 weeks and dialated to a 3.

Quoting MizzDeeDee:

Are they offering it because of the short labors or did you have complications? Maybe they're afraid you'll have the baby at home?

If I ever have another one I will have a c-section. I have no interest in having a VBAC after the experience I had in labor from induction. It' (c-section) wasn't that bad. To be honest, it was far better then the labor. There was some pain but I didn't even take vany medication for pain and was feeling normal in a few weeks. Just have to make sure it stays clean. That's the big thing. Otherwise...meh, not so bad.

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM

why not see if you can be induced at 37/38 weeks instead of a c-section?? I can see why your doctor would want the baby to come earlier so you dont have him/her at home but why jump straight to the c-section??

Nevermind read the one above this andgot my answer. Good Luck to you! my SILs both had c-sections they never complained about them.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

It's a concern because it's likely I'll have the baby at home if I go into labor at home. I had my son in less than 20 minutes. With my husbands schedule and the fact that I have no family here it's just scary to think about going to labor alone.

How hard was your recovery?

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

If you never had a csection before why are you concerned with going into labor? Let yourself go into labor and get to the hospital. Lol.

I had a emergency csection with my son. I'm pregnant again and willing be having a planned csection. Based on my history its what I feel comfortable with. I had a vertical incision so I hate my stomach. I'm sure most woman are ok with theirs after though. Well once they heal and are able to work on getting back in shape a little if need be.

Bmama1
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM
My vbac was exactly 1year and 1day after my csection.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Why don't you tell them you want to be induced at 38wks but want to try it vaginal.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I have no idea. I have never had a DR ask if I wanted a c-section before.

Quoting Denecia:

Is that legal? My doctor said mine had to be done at 39 weeks no earlier unless of an emergency. She said that was the law. Also I did not ask to have it earlier and it is a repeat csection

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Mine was sort of elective.

Yes, I would do it again.

No, my stomach did NOT go back to normal.
Only plastic surgery will help it. That is something I do feel upset about some days.

Kitschy
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM

NO. I've had two. Let me first explain that it's very stressful especially when you know you are having one. I never felt fear like I did for my elected c-section. (elected because I was convinced I was too high risk for vbac) When they sew you back together, they only sew the muscle together on the bottom abs but not the top. So the bottom abs will be tight like you had a tummy tuck, while the top will be looser depending on your body which many times (if not most times) results in a (c-section shelf) This pic is not my shelf. I don't have pics of that, and I'm not in to getting naked right now, but this is generally what they look like. Even if you lose the weight, the looser skin hangs over the tight sewn together muscle.

It's been two years since my last c-section and I still have parts of my tummy that are numb. I originally wanted three children, but stopped after two because under NO circumstance do I EVER want a c-section again.

I'm happy to talk to you about it if you want. :) You know me, I'm an open book.

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Recovery wasn't too bad. The first time getting up is going to suck. Getting up and moving around is what helps you heal and feel better.

After about 2 weeks it got easier. Took about 6 weeks to completely feel back to normal.

If you don't need a csection, you really shouldn't do it. I get your concern, but I think your doctor and you may be overreacting a little.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

It's a concern because it's likely I'll have the baby at home if I go into labor at home. I had my son in less than 20 minutes. With my husbands schedule and the fact that I have no family here it's just scary to think about going to labor alone.

How hard was your recovery?

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

If you never had a csection before why are you concerned with going into labor? Let yourself go into labor and get to the hospital. Lol.

I had a emergency csection with my son. I'm pregnant again and willing be having a planned csection. Based on my history its what I feel comfortable with. I had a vertical incision so I hate my stomach. I'm sure most woman are ok with theirs after though. Well once they heal and are able to work on getting back in shape a little if need be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)