Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Calling All Bakers!!!

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM
  • 48 Replies
Anyone recommend any good technique books on baking and pastry? I don't want recipe books, just techniques mostly.

Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlshine
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Look on Amazon for textbooks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CMcLaws
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM
I did that, but I'm looking for more personal recommendations. :-)

Quoting atlshine:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlshine
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM
What kind of baking? Cakes, bread, etc.?

Quoting CMcLaws:

I did that, but I'm looking for more personal recommendations. :-)

Quoting atlshine:

marihla
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I take any cookie recipe and undercook them, and cool them for longer (like 2 hours) you have to cool them for longer using this trick, otherwise they are mushy. It instantly turns them into the softest chewiest cookies in the world. Everyone says I make the best cookies they've ever had, and it doesn't matter which kind it is. I just don't tell them my secret: I take the cookies out while they still look like they might not be done!

Also, I love allrecipes.com, they have reviews from other people who tried to make the recipe and they give you their own suggestions on how to make it better!

marihla
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM

And with other recipes, like muffins or rolls, just make sure you don't over mix them. Stir until it is JUST mixed, then stop. Otherwise it ends up tough.

r_luvli
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a recipe book, but with old school techniques, also. My copy is tattered, but I still love and use it.
Jim Fobel's Old Fashioned Baking Book.
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Applesauce is much better than oil and sour cream adds moisture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:21 PM
With cakes cover the pan in shortening first (just a thin, thin layer) then toss flour in it (toss it around till the flour covers the shortening) and then pour your cake batter in. The cake comes out more even and is easier to get out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM
I thought I was the only one to do this!

Quoting marihla:

I take any cookie recipe and undercook them, and cool them for longer (like 2 hours) you have to cool them for longer using this trick, otherwise they are mushy. It instantly turns them into the softest chewiest cookies in the world. Everyone says I make the best cookies they've ever had, and it doesn't matter which kind it is. I just don't tell them my secret: I take the cookies out while they still look like they might not be done!

Also, I love allrecipes.com, they have reviews from other people who tried to make the recipe and they give you their own suggestions on how to make it better!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1L2CMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM
This for cookies. I always bring mine out of the oven a minute less than the recipe calls for. Also don't melt your butter. Soften it in the microwave if you need to, but don't melt it, and add 1/4 cup more flour then the recipe calls for. Best cookies guaranteed!

Quoting marihla:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)