Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you actually save money?? Im curious...

Posted by   + Show Post
I meticulously plan a budget with a forecast months in advance. I try really hard to live on what I make and while it seems I do fairly well Im just curious...

Do other (especially single) moms in this forum have a savings acct theyre building up??

On a side note... I want to have a grand saved by Dec 31, 2012 and Im on target so far :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

i don't have a saving account because i don't trust banks but i do try to save, i have a safe at my house and i put money back, if it is in their i forget about it so i don't use it. What i have been putting back so far is going  toward my new phone and christmas, so after Christmas i will start saving again. I have only been saving for a couple of months but i think i have done good. I have almost $400 saved up would be closer to $600 but had to  break into it a couple a weeks ago to survive until payday.

valdezmama
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I bet it is. Saving in itself has been rewarding. Going on a vacation with money I put aside would be awesome :-D

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Definitely the most rewarding thing to save for if you ask me! =)

Quoting valdezmama:

I am proud of myself... THANKS!! OOH! Thats a great idea.. to save towards a vacation!!

Quoting Anonymous:

That is especially impressive, you should be proud of yourself! Yea, $200/mth to vacation, $200/mth to gifts (christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, etc), $500/mth towards remodeling our 105 year old farmhouse, and the rest to a general emergency fund.

Quoting valdezmama:

Awesome!! I can save about 800/mo but for living on my own and being a single mom thats not too shabby!

Keep up the good work!! Do you have a goal for your savings?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. We save $1900/ month

valdezmama
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Feels great to save doesnt it?? Keep it up!

Quoting Anonymous:

i don't have a saving account because i don't trust banks but i do try to save, i have a safe at my house and i put money back, if it is in their i forget about it so i don't use it. What i have been putting back so far is going  toward my new phone and christmas, so after Christmas i will start saving again. I have only been saving for a couple of months but i think i have done good. I have almost $400 saved up would be closer to $600 but had to  break into it a couple a weeks ago to survive until payday.

Kitschy
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Nope, no savings account. Not a dime of savings

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I do, I set aside what I save every week at the grocery store.  I was able to put aside $1600 in the first quarter of the year, Christmas is paid for.

Firenygirl180
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM

We just bought a house and i really want to apply for the Alaska State Troopers.  I can't this year because of being pregnant so I have to wait until 2014 for them to do applications again and then the academy would be in 2015.  If I can get a job as a corrections officer and get rid or some of our debt we will be able to afford the mortgage here and the rent for me to live out there for a year until we figure out where we will stay.  We also have to pay for daycare because I'd be gone for 16 months.  If this all happens the kids will probably be with me once i complete the academy, but either way we have to pay for daycare.  We also need money to pay for DF (will hopefully be DH by then) to come visit us.  

We are also saving up for a wedding that will hopefully happen August 2014.

Quoting valdezmama:

Congrats on being caught up on everything :-) Sometimes thats the biggest hurdle ever!

Sounds like you have great plans too :-)

Quoting Firenygirl180:

I am caught up on the things I needed to catch up on and now I will be buying gas and making a few more layaway payments and the rest of my money will be going into savings.  I need $500/month to pay my loan payments and right now I make about $300/month.  I cannot wait until after I have this baby and take the fitness tests and do the interviews for a real job so I can have a decent income. 

If I get the job I will make about $30,000/year and I will put most of it towards my student loans and then put a little in my savings and both my kids savings each month.  I am not looking forward to going to work full time but right now I need to and if we get my loans paid off within 3-4 years I can stay home again!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It really is SO rewarding! There was a time when we were just getting by, the security is better than anything! Keep up the great work mama!

Quoting valdezmama:

I bet it is. Saving in itself has been rewarding. Going on a vacation with money I put aside would be awesome :-D

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Definitely the most rewarding thing to save for if you ask me! =)

Quoting valdezmama:

I am proud of myself... THANKS!! OOH! Thats a great idea.. to save towards a vacation!!

Quoting Anonymous:

That is especially impressive, you should be proud of yourself! Yea, $200/mth to vacation, $200/mth to gifts (christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, etc), $500/mth towards remodeling our 105 year old farmhouse, and the rest to a general emergency fund.

Quoting valdezmama:

Awesome!! I can save about 800/mo but for living on my own and being a single mom thats not too shabby!

Keep up the good work!! Do you have a goal for your savings?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. We save $1900/ month

mcclainprincess
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I, just quit smoking and my horrible energy drink habit.soon enough won't have to pay out that extra in healthcare costs because I'll be tobacco free so i am def going to have a savings soon...
valdezmama
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Genius!! I have a separate bank i use only for savings. no Atm card either so i have to actually drive there to get money. it works quite well lol

Quoting ff-princess:

I do, I set aside what I save every week at the grocery store.  I was able to put aside $1600 in the first quarter of the year, Christmas is paid for.

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. My paycheck is used for savings (retirement, just because savings, 2 emergency funds, kids college funds & kids savings accounts). We live comfortably off of my husband's paycheck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN