Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you actually save money?? Im curious...

Posted by   + Show Post
I meticulously plan a budget with a forecast months in advance. I try really hard to live on what I make and while it seems I do fairly well Im just curious...

Do other (especially single) moms in this forum have a savings acct theyre building up??

On a side note... I want to have a grand saved by Dec 31, 2012 and Im on target so far :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
ChristyG2012
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Man I would LOVE having most of these women's savings accounts! I can save maybe $50-$100 a month. But we're trying to build it up. We'd really LOVE to buy a house soon!!
valdezmama
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM
I hear ya :-) Im trying hard to cut expenses and drive up my income to boost savings. Good luck!!

Quoting ChristyG2012:

Man I would LOVE having most of these women's savings accounts! I can save maybe $50-$100 a month. But we're trying to build it up. We'd really LOVE to buy a house soon!!

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM
That's how we save money too. It's not exactly easy though. Takes a lot of will power.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Yes, I have this issue too!!

Quoting tennisgal:

I am meticulous and DH...not so much. We have had our share of arguments (not over the spending b/c he's not a spender) but over the accountability of it (i guess). 

like if I said, "we have $250 for groceries but he felt like pork chops one night even though it wasn't on the menu, he would run out and spend the $20 even if it put us over budget"

his thinking is, we have the money, so I can spend it. 

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM

ys we have a savings account.

ChristyG2012
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM
We're trying this new budget to keep our spending reigned in. We tried to account for every penny so we know exactly where our money's going. The ONLY good thing about my husband being on salary is its easy to budget!!

Quoting valdezmama:

I hear ya :-) Im trying hard to cut expenses and drive up my income to boost savings. Good luck!!

Quoting ChristyG2012:

valdezmama
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Im a budgeting nazi lol

I also pay my bills the same day i get paid so I cant overspend.

I also give myself a cash allowance so that works well... once the cash is gone... no more spending!!

Quoting ChristyG2012:

We're trying this new budget to keep our spending reigned in. We tried to account for every penny so we know exactly where our money's going. The ONLY good thing about my husband being on salary is its easy to budget!!

Quoting valdezmama:

Quoting ChristyG2012:

chloesmommy777
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I should more... I like your ideas :)

ChristyG2012
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM
That's exactly what we're doing too! Other than the bills we pay online we take it all out in cash & put it in envelopes. For food, baby, house, & spending!

Quoting valdezmama:

Im a budgeting nazi lol

I also pay my bills the same day i get paid so I cant overspend.

I also give myself a cash allowance so that works well... once the cash is gone... no more spending!!

Quoting ChristyG2012:

Quoting valdezmama:

Quoting ChristyG2012:

valdezmama
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Hey Firenygirl... or anyone else that can use the info...

I have a bank acct with an online bank called Smarterbank. Everytime I use my debit card for a credit purchase, a (small) percentage of my purchase gets sent as a reward towards my student loan. It works and its easy to set up an acct with them. So far Ive seen $47 sent in rewards this year!!

Www.smarterbank.com

Quoting Firenygirl180:

We just bought a house and i really want to apply for the Alaska State Troopers.  I can't this year because of being pregnant so I have to wait until 2014 for them to do applications again and then the academy would be in 2015.  If I can get a job as a corrections officer and get rid or some of our debt we will be able to afford the mortgage here and the rent for me to live out there for a year until we figure out where we will stay.  We also have to pay for daycare because I'd be gone for 16 months.  If this all happens the kids will probably be with me once i complete the academy, but either way we have to pay for daycare.  We also need money to pay for DF (will hopefully be DH by then) to come visit us.  

We are also saving up for a wedding that will hopefully happen August 2014.

Quoting valdezmama:

Congrats on being caught up on everything :-) Sometimes thats the biggest hurdle ever!

Sounds like you have great plans too :-)

Quoting Firenygirl180:

I am caught up on the things I needed to catch up on and now I will be buying gas and making a few more layaway payments and the rest of my money will be going into savings.  I need $500/month to pay my loan payments and right now I make about $300/month.  I cannot wait until after I have this baby and take the fitness tests and do the interviews for a real job so I can have a decent income. 

If I get the job I will make about $30,000/year and I will put most of it towards my student loans and then put a little in my savings and both my kids savings each month.  I am not looking forward to going to work full time but right now I need to and if we get my loans paid off within 3-4 years I can stay home again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)