Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A latex allergy can't be that unusual???

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM
  • 47 Replies

DS has an alergy to latex.  When he is touched by gloves or latex bandaids he gets a rash then eventual blister.  We went to see the dentist today and they didn't have latex free gloves....  The dentist just "washed his hands extra good".  Next time we go in I'll bring in a box for him...  I don't understand though, I thought latex was a common allergy, isnt it? 

You know you want it

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM
I've always thought so, I work in healthcare and I always use latex free gloves just in case.
.thatsme.
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
I'm not sure how common it is but my mom is allergic to latex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charliesmommy11
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
It is pretty common I agree. I'm allergic as well , I actually have a bandaid shaped scar from a supposedly latex free bandaid lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crescentstar2
by Anne on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Our ped dentist had the latex free only :-/

Opie99
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM
It is an increasingly common allergy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
edelweiss23
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I am allergic as well

Every dr or dentist I have gone to recently has switched to a different type of gloves so as not to use latex.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:02 AM

LOL Ok good.  DS's school is latex free too and if the whole school is then I would imagine that most places are aware of this...  Anyway, can I just pick them up at target?  Its the only "good" ped dentist that the insurance covers in the area so I want to keep him but there is no way he will put his hand in DS's mouth again on accident without reading the damn chart again.  (It was very quick, came in, popped on gloves, started to look and I said, WAIT ARE THOSE LATEX?! and he took them off immediately then the nurses or assistants or whatever couldn't find any latex free gloves)

Quoting Anonymous:

I've always thought so, I work in healthcare and I always use latex free gloves just in case.

You know you want it

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah he is old school.  I'm just gonna buy a box and keep it with me for now on.  

Quoting edelweiss23:

I am allergic as well

Every dr or dentist I have gone to recently has switched to a different type of gloves so as not to use latex.

You know you want it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I had one for the longest time but I still don't know if it was the type of bandaid or the type of adhesive the bandaid had on it.

Quoting Charliesmommy11:

It is pretty common I agree. I'm allergic as well , I actually have a bandaid shaped scar from a supposedly latex free bandaid lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I see it pretty regularly at our hospitals. They even post a small sign, saying "latex free environment" on the patient's doors. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN