Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So... we ran out of bread.

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:44 AM
  • 8 Replies

and I really wanted a pb&j sandwhich, so instead, I mixed peanut butter and jelly in a bowl with cheerios.

and its actually super tasty, so in the morning i'm thinking i'm gonna try to make some pb&j cheerio bars. i'll post a recipe once I'm done. :)

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
armywife009
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:45 AM

That sounds good! :-D

You should try making your own bread, it's pretty cheap. I started doing it a couple of weeks ago and it is so much better!

LucyHourglass
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM

doesnt it take FOREVER? actually I have a lot of time on my hands some days... do you know of a good recipe? 

Quoting armywife009:

You should try making your own bread, it's pretty cheap. I started doing it a couple of weeks ago and it is so much better!

armywifey26
by Krissy on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM
2 moms liked this

DH the other night made this for DD when we were out of bread. LOL

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Been there done that lol the kids loved them

Quoting armywifey26:

DH the other night made this for DD when we were out of bread. LOL

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this

It can, I try to make it at night when everyone is asleep.

The recipe I use is:

3 cups buttermilk

1 cup of water

3 tbsp butter 

1 tsp salt

1tsp baking soda

2 tbsp sugar

5-6 cups flour

4 1/2 tsp yeast (or one packet instant yeast).

Mix the buttermilk, water, baking soda, sugar, salt, water and butter into pot to heat it.

Then put it into a bowl with four cups of flour and knead it and add the other two cups of flour as you go. You are going to knead it for about 8 minutes. Then knead it into a ball and place in a bowl with a cloth over it and let it rise for about an hour. 

Take it out and knead it again for a few more minutes cut it in half, to make two loafs, and then let it rise again for another hour. After it has risen, place it in the oven at 325 F for about 35-40 minutes.

It seems hard, but it's pretty easy. When you get the time you should try it. Also I like to take honey and glaze the top, gives it a good zing to it :)

Quoting LucyHourglass:

doesnt it take FOREVER? actually I have a lot of time on my hands some days... do you know of a good recipe? 

Quoting armywife009:

touchingstars
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:58 AM
Try flour tortillas
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHourglass
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:00 AM

thank you!  it has always seemed so complicated to me, il like this recipe I will try it. :) do you find this helps you save some money?

Quoting armywife009:

The recipe I use is:

3 cups buttermilk

1 cup of water

3 tbsp butter 

1 tsp salt

1tsp baking soda

2 tbsp sugar

5-6 cups flour

Mix the buttermilk, water, baking soda, sugar, salt, water and butter into pot to heat it.

Then put it into a bowl with four cups of flour and knead it and add the other two cups of flour as you go. You are going to knead it for about 8 minutes. Then knead it into a ball and place in a bowl with a cloth over it and let it rise for about an hour. 

Take it out and knead it again for a few more minutes cut it in half, to make two loafs, and then let it rise again for another hour. After it has risen, place it in the oven at 325 F for about 35-40 minutes.

It seems hard, but it's pretty easy. When you get the time you should try it. Also I like to take honey and glaze the top, gives it a good zing to it :)

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting armywife009:

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:05 AM

You're welcome. 

Oh yeah tons. Dh loves bread, it's biscuits or bread with just about every meal, lol. I love how fresh it tastes when it first comes out of the oven. The fist loaf I made was hard as a brick though lol, I didn't let it rise long enough before baking it. Poor dh, he ate it anyway to make me feel better, I insisted on throwing it out, but he was like "no, no, it's good babe", haha. After time you get it down pat. I still haven't completely worked out my own kinks with it, but for the most part I seem to be getting better at it.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

thank you!  it has always seemed so complicated to me, il like this recipe I will try it. :) do you find this helps you save some money?

Quoting armywife009:

The recipe I use is:

3 cups buttermilk

1 cup of water

3 tbsp butter 

1 tsp salt

1tsp baking soda

2 tbsp sugar

5-6 cups flour

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting armywife009:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)