Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have a ferret? *Update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 146 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'd love to have a ferret, but I've heard they stink no matter how clean you keep the cage. Even if their scent glands are removed they still have an odor? We live in a smallish house, I don't want him stinking the house up. Is there any way at all to prevent the smell? Anything else I need to know before getting one? What kind of vaccinations do they need?

*Update*

So we've been doing lots of research, and know way more than we did. I would go as far as saying I'm an expert, lol! JK! I was getting pretty excited about getting one...We've looked at tons of beautiful cages and "baby proof" pins they can play in, all kinds of accessories....Then we found out we're having another baby.

We were ttc, but thought it was going to be a very long process (it was with dd), and would have plenty of time to get accustomed to having a ferret. Well now I'm starting to have second thoughts. I know I'll be the one doing all the cleaning on the cage/litter box. Is that safe for a pregnant woman? I know they're more closely related to dogs then cats, but you still have the littler box like with a cat. Dh has promised to do all the cleaning, but I know how that goes. 

We went this past week, and looked at a few! They were soooo sweet, and very gentle. Dh's heart was set, and dd also did very good with them. But because of me, we didn't get one....Idk, would this be a smart move? Would it be wiser to wait till our LO's get older? Dh was almost in tears when I made him put this little guy back. I felt so bad..And dd was really upset, but I just gave him the "lets just wait till after Christmas" story. After that he agreed, but thinks we're getting one come January. Why is this such a difficult decision for me?! 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crzy4mc
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:55 AM
My in laws have two but they do reek.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:57 AM
I wanted one real bad untill I met someone with one. They stink so bad! They hide stuff from you too. Lol. They are a bigger responsibility than most caged animals. Vet bills, certain food, certain large cage, etc.. They are so darn cute though.....
kaddiefrass
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:58 AM
They will always have a smell. And I've found that some are Smell really bad and there is nothing you can do to help it and others are more manageable. As long as the cage is kept clean your house shouldn't smell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Quoting kaddiefrass:

They will always have a smell. And I've found that some are Smell really bad and there is nothing you can do to help it and others are more manageable. As long as the cage is kept clean your house shouldn't smell.

Our house is pretty tiny though. I would have to keep him in the living room, where everyone walks in when they first come through the door. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Quoting jakesmom323:

I wanted one real bad untill I met someone with one. They stink so bad! They hide stuff from you too. Lol. They are a bigger responsibility than most caged animals. Vet bills, certain food, certain large cage, etc.. They are so darn cute though.....

I know!!! I want one soooo bad, but I don't wanna get one then not be able to deal with the stink. 

2littledaisies
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:01 AM
We had one when dh and I got together...gag I hated that thing it stunk so bad :/ the bunny we have now is a lot more user friendly
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Quoting Mommykitty1:

They have a musky odor more then they stink. Some breeds smell less then others too. But they do steal things.

So do some ppl just let them roam free? Do they come back like a puppy or do they hide like a hamster?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:05 AM

Quoting 2littledaisies:

We had one when dh and I got together...gag I hated that thing it stunk so bad :/ the bunny we have now is a lot more user friendly

See, I was kinda thinking maybe we should start out with a hamster. I'm just thinking dd could play with a ferret better, since they're bigger....and I REALLY want a ferret;)

AmyD43
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:05 AM
We had one growing up! We loved it but we were older when we got it. 8th grade. It didn't smell as long as you clean the cage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mommykitty1:

They have a musky odor more then they stink. Some breeds smell less then others too. But they do steal things.

So do some ppl just let them roam free? Do they come back like a puppy or do they hide like a hamster?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:09 AM

Quoting AmyD43:

We had one growing up! We loved it but we were older when we got it. 8th grade. It didn't smell as long as you clean the cage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mommykitty1:

Do you know if it was male or female? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured