Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have a ferret? *Update*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'd love to have a ferret, but I've heard they stink no matter how clean you keep the cage. Even if their scent glands are removed they still have an odor? We live in a smallish house, I don't want him stinking the house up. Is there any way at all to prevent the smell? Anything else I need to know before getting one? What kind of vaccinations do they need?

*Update*

So we've been doing lots of research, and know way more than we did. I would go as far as saying I'm an expert, lol! JK! I was getting pretty excited about getting one...We've looked at tons of beautiful cages and "baby proof" pins they can play in, all kinds of accessories....Then we found out we're having another baby.

We were ttc, but thought it was going to be a very long process (it was with dd), and would have plenty of time to get accustomed to having a ferret. Well now I'm starting to have second thoughts. I know I'll be the one doing all the cleaning on the cage/litter box. Is that safe for a pregnant woman? I know they're more closely related to dogs then cats, but you still have the littler box like with a cat. Dh has promised to do all the cleaning, but I know how that goes. 

We went this past week, and looked at a few! They were soooo sweet, and very gentle. Dh's heart was set, and dd also did very good with them. But because of me, we didn't get one....Idk, would this be a smart move? Would it be wiser to wait till our LO's get older? Dh was almost in tears when I made him put this little guy back. I felt so bad..And dd was really upset, but I just gave him the "lets just wait till after Christmas" story. After that he agreed, but thinks we're getting one come January. Why is this such a difficult decision for me?! 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:54 AM
Replies (141-146):
Jeckers
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

They don't all smell bad.  The two we had, already had their glands removed when we purchased them. They do hide stuff, they like to crawl into small spaces.  (Ours liked to tear into the bottom of the couches and hide whatever they could in the couches. They also will eat anything and everything.  We had one almost die because it ate styrofoam from a squeeze ball.  they have really sensitive intestines or something like that. 

They do like to play with you though, they will hide and then attack you.  Take things from you and hide them. You can potty train them, but have to keep their litter box clean.  I had a huge cage for them.  It had 3 levels and we had a ton of toys and houses for them.  They pick their favorite.  Bought those foil dryer hoses and connected them together so they could have tunnels to play in. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Path Valley Farm Inc.™ breeds the highest quality ferrets for pets only.

http://www.pathvalleyfarm.com/

Quoting XJetX:

They are a supplier, not a ferret breeder

Quoting Anonymous:

not true. there is also pet valley.

Quoting XJetX:

Marshall is the only kind sold at pet stores, and the only kind you will find unless you go out and find a breeder.

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

Great advice!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HeathersForever:

I live in a small apartment and I own one. I don't think the smell is that bad. I wouldn't recommend multiples though if you are worried about smell. Her temperment is amazing, she does not bite, she is very playful, you have to watch when they are out though they will cause trouble. I have a Marshall ferret. You want to make sure you get a Marshall brand ferret from the pet store, they are bred specially with a great temperment, and they come with all their vaccinations, and they come pre spayed and or neutered which is neccessary, and they already have their scent glands and everything removed for you when you buy Marshall.

That's the breed they have at petco, right?

XJetX
by Resident Heathen on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM

You said pet valley, not path valley. I'm aware of both.
ETA- I should say it's a rarity to see ferrets from them because they have to be directly contacted whereas Marshall is a larger breeding facility and more widely known.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting XJetX:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting XJetX:

Marshall is the only kind sold at pet stores, and the only kind you will find unless you go out and find a breeder.

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

Great advice!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HeathersForever:

I live in a small apartment and I own one. I don't think the smell is that bad. I wouldn't recommend multiples though if you are worried about smell. Her temperment is amazing, she does not bite, she is very playful, you have to watch when they are out though they will cause trouble. I have a Marshall ferret. You want to make sure you get a Marshall brand ferret from the pet store, they are bred specially with a great temperment, and they come with all their vaccinations, and they come pre spayed and or neutered which is neccessary, and they already have their scent glands and everything removed for you when you buy Marshall.

sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I've heard they always have a smell.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

gasp i made a typo...

sorry i'm human not a robot...

Quoting XJetX:

ETA- I should say it's a rarity to see ferrets from them because they have to be directly contacted whereas Marshall is a larger breeding facility and more widely known.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting XJetX:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting XJetX:

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

Great advice!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HeathersForever:

XJetX
by Resident Heathen on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Well they're two totally different things. Soooooo don't try to prove me wrong on saying that they're a supplier when the place you told me about IS a supplier. Chill out, remove the sand from your vagina, and get your panties out of that bunch. The world is not ending beause you made a mistake.

Quoting Anonymous:

gasp i made a typo...

sorry i'm human not a robot...

Quoting XJetX:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting XJetX:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting XJetX:

Quoting _AshlynNicole:

Great advice!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HeathersForever:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured