Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O. Anyone else have a child that attends a head start?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
This is a spin off of the daycare post.

My dd attends a school readiness preschool program that is modeled after head start (we make too much $ for head start). She loves it and so do I! I would much rather her be home with me, but she has so much fun and is learning so much that I really feel that it benefits her. I Feel that it's extremely important to find a good daycare/preschool program. I am confident that dd attends an excellent center and it really does give her a "head start" for school. Anyone else?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:50 AM
We don't really call it head start, but mine all attended state funded 4 year old pre-k. They liked it, but it's not the same as day care. Even at that, I struggled with whether or not I should send them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
asistartomosh
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:50 AM
I whould love to. Dd tells me everyday she wants to go to school. But we make too much for head start. And preschools are too much for us a week.
HunternChase
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
When my 18 month old is ready for preschool he will go to preschool just Like my other 2.. Peeshool and daycare are 2 separate things..
stefvan
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I know for a fact that kindergarten teachers really appreciate getting kids who've had some type of pre-school.  My kids were in daycare and in the 2 year old class they started a pre-school curriculum.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I'm not sure what the difference is beteeen preschool and headstart...all of my kids have been to preschool, for one year, at age 4. My youngest is there right now. She goes from 8am-2:30pm. 

beingme75
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM
My kids went to preK and such. It did wonders for them. My youngest learned how to read at age 4 and is always at least 2 years ahead of his peers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM
I loved head start, I've heard a few not so good stories about a few of them but my sons teachers were so caring and helpful, they were deff in the right profession for them and they helped me a lot with my sons behavior problems. seeing how kindergarden is full day here and there's so many kids in the classes he would've been lost if I had just thrown him in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this

*giggles* peeschool! bahaha! :) 

Quoting HunternChase:

When my 18 month old is ready for preschool he will go to preschool just Like my other 2.. Peeshool and daycare are 2 separate things..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM
I was in the same situation so I contacted the elementary school. And their pre-k (school readiness) runs on a sliding scale. We pay $60/week (and we make 70k a year) dd goes for 5 hours a day, 5 days a week and I would rate the care/education she's getting as excellent. From my experience, preschool that run on a sliding scale tend to be better quality. Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that thy give her a free hot lunch every day. I get a menu every month and it's always a healthy nutritious meal.

Quoting asistartomosh:

I whould love to. Dd tells me everyday she wants to go to school. But we make too much for head start. And preschools are too much for us a week.

TattoodMommy19
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM
My 5 year old attends a head start pre-k program at our home elementary school.
She's doing almost the same thing the kindergarten classes do. She's really learning a lot! She reads several words, can do some basic math, and write her name. She can spell and recognize all the letters.

When she was home with me I'd plan activities for her and we were working on reading. But at home she was distracted, would rather go outside and play or play dolls with her baby sister. Lol.
At school she focuses. And it has really helped her socially. She was so shy before and now she is little miss popular and has lots of friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN