Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My poor fiancé and a question about hotels

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM
  • 59 Replies
He had to go out of town for work and his plane didn't land till 11pm and he made reservations at a hotel (Sheraton) and told them his plane doesn't land till 11.

Well he gets there last night and they had overbooked the hotel and didn't have a room for him, he was understandably pissed but luckily the 4 points Sheraton across the street had room.

So my question. Can they do that and how often do they do that? I can't imagine making a reservation for a hotel room and finding out they gave your room away especially when you need to be up in 7 hours to get to the office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CutieCrab
by Jen on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Bump. Idk. But I understand why he's pissed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM
It's never happened to us...DH is in hotels more then he's home.

Did they get the room for him across the street for free?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:32 AM
He called me cussing and ranting and raving about midnight, I of course just listened and let him bitch.

Quoting CutieCrab:

Bump. Idk. But I understand why he's pissed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Nope. They gave him a discount though I'm not sure how much, he's only there for 2 nights.

Quoting twinmommy27:

It's never happened to us...DH is in hotels more then he's home.

Did they get the room for him across the street for free?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

they do it frequently.  he should have called that day and confirmed that he was guaranteed for late arrival, and what time he was guaranteed for.  then they would have been more likely to not give away his room.  they make money when someone pays for a room, if he wasn't there then they sell the room to someone else.

scoleman828
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Hotels lose reservations more often than it would seem. Never happened to me personally but, I have definitely heard of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM

It's because of the late check in. Hotels clerks are hotel clerks for a reason.

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM

oh, and tell him to be prepared for the hotel to charge at least an additional $50 to his card when he checks out, and those funds won't be released for up to 5 business days after.  I got royally screwed once by not knowing that, I had to charge a car service to the company to get to the airport since I didn't have extra cash for a cab.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Ill tell him to start confirming the day of but we've never experienced this before so he had no clue he needed to call them and confirm.

Quoting ff-princess:

they do it frequently.  he should have called that day and confirmed that he was guaranteed for late arrival, and what time he was guaranteed for.  then they would have been more likely to not give away his room.  they make money when someone pays for a room, if he wasn't there then they sell the room to someone else.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM
It's a company credit card.

He travels at least once a week so they gave him a company card to pay for all his travel expenses.

Quoting ff-princess:

oh, and tell him to be prepared for the hotel to charge at least an additional $50 to his card when he checks out, and those funds won't be released for up to 5 business days after.  I got royally screwed once by not knowing that, I had to charge a car service to the company to get to the airport since I didn't have extra cash for a cab.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)