Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My poor fiancé and a question about hotels

Posted by   + Show Post
He had to go out of town for work and his plane didn't land till 11pm and he made reservations at a hotel (Sheraton) and told them his plane doesn't land till 11.

Well he gets there last night and they had overbooked the hotel and didn't have a room for him, he was understandably pissed but luckily the 4 points Sheraton across the street had room.

So my question. Can they do that and how often do they do that? I can't imagine making a reservation for a hotel room and finding out they gave your room away especially when you need to be up in 7 hours to get to the office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (51-59):
lullabylily
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1. If you have a corporate account in the hotel, you dont need to reserve a room with credit card
2. If you have a valid membership in the hotel chain

Quoting twinmommy27:

How would one reserve a hotel room without a credit card??

Are you talking about a hole in the wall that people go to have sex?

Quoting Anonymous:

wrong- the first ones to go are the ones that don't book with a credit card

Quoting Jade89:

Which is great for your husband, but had that hotel been over booked his room would NOT have been available. They would have relocated him to a different hotel upon arrival UNLESS he is a VIP member to their brand.

Quoting Anonymous:

if the company booked it- then it should be with the company card- therefore the room still should have been there. my hubby just had to go out of town this past monday, plane was late leaving here, then stuck at dallas for over three hrs- so they didn't get to the hotel til a little after midnight. room still there

Quoting Roxygurl:

Straight through the hotel, I believe his company actually booked the room for him.

Quoting Jade89:

I worked for the Sheraton New Orleans, I can tell ya, yes they can and will do that.

Did he book through a third party site or straight through the hotel?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Lol, I did when I typed it.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Eewwee lol I just got this horrible mental image of a rent by the minute place.

Quoting twinmommy27:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jade89:

Which is great for your husband, but had that hotel been over booked his room would NOT have been available. They would have relocated him to a different hotel upon arrival UNLESS he is a VIP member to their brand.

Quoting Anonymous:

if the company booked it- then it should be with the company card- therefore the room still should have been there. my hubby just had to go out of town this past monday, plane was late leaving here, then stuck at dallas for over three hrs- so they didn't get to the hotel til a little after midnight. room still there

Quoting Roxygurl:

Straight through the hotel, I believe his company actually booked the room for him.

Quoting Jade89:

I worked for the Sheraton New Orleans, I can tell ya, yes they can and will do that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Because the credit card is on file.

Quoting lullabylily:

1. If you have a corporate account in the hotel, you dont need to reserve a room with credit card

2. If you have a valid membership in the hotel chain

Quoting twinmommy27:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jade89:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Jade89:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM
That's nasty!!!
I don't think I'd want to stay there.

What hotel is that?

Quoting HistoryNutty:

People do that at the hotel I work at, and it's no hole in the wall. It's a little over $100 a night.

Those rooms are always scary by the way. Never know what you will find in the sheets, under the bed skirts and such.

Quoting twinmommy27:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jade89:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Jade89:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Comfort Inn in Missouri. Everything gets changed in those rooms.

Quoting twinmommy27:

That's nasty!!!

I don't think I'd want to stay there.

What hotel is that?

Quoting HistoryNutty:

People do that at the hotel I work at, and it's no hole in the wall. It's a little over $100 a night.

Those rooms are always scary by the way. Never know what you will find in the sheets, under the bed skirts and such.

Quoting twinmommy27:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jade89:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Jade89:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LittleBirdFly
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM

oh yeah they do that, same with plane tickets. That why I always make sure I am there early. They like to overbook them sometimes too or so I was told. Becaus esometimes people book and then just dont show up.

opal10161973
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I have never had that happen, but I call the day of to make sure they know we are going to be a late check in.  Last time we went, I also asked for a king preference, but we were denied.  I was pissed.  Needless to say, they got a poor review from us, but not just for that.  I was really surprised it had such a good rating for a 4 star hotel. 

ranawen
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:16 AM
Oh yea they have no idea its like they live in lála land.

Quoting Jade89:

Exactly!

I HATED our reservations department! They would severely oversell the hotel and not give a shit bc they aren't the ones to deal with the guest when they arrive

Quoting ranawen:

As someone who works in a hotel and hates when the higher ups overbook the hotel because being the one who has had to walk a guest else where let me tell you it sucks for me as much as having to tell you i had to get you a room somewhere else. Hotels generally get oversold because there is a margine of no shows. They assume people are not going to show up. Its not the front desk agents fault. They just have to do what they are told. They should have paid for his first night elsewhere though because it was their fault for overbooking.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:19 AM

I have never heard of it, though airlines do it all the time so I am not completly shocked.  I would ask for a refund of the first hotel and stomp my feet like a little girl though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)