Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My poor fiancé and a question about hotels

Posted by   + Show Post
He had to go out of town for work and his plane didn't land till 11pm and he made reservations at a hotel (Sheraton) and told them his plane doesn't land till 11.

Well he gets there last night and they had overbooked the hotel and didn't have a room for him, he was understandably pissed but luckily the 4 points Sheraton across the street had room.

So my question. Can they do that and how often do they do that? I can't imagine making a reservation for a hotel room and finding out they gave your room away especially when you need to be up in 7 hours to get to the office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jade89
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I worked for the Sheraton New Orleans, I can tell ya, yes they can and will do that.

Did he book through a third party site or straight through the hotel?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mandy18192
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Gosh that sux... I'm sorry:(
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Straight through the hotel, I believe his company actually booked the room for him.

Quoting Jade89:

I worked for the Sheraton New Orleans, I can tell ya, yes they can and will do that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ranawen
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM
As someone who works in a hotel and hates when the higher ups overbook the hotel because being the one who has had to walk a guest else where let me tell you it sucks for me as much as having to tell you i had to get you a room somewhere else. Hotels generally get oversold because there is a margine of no shows. They assume people are not going to show up. Its not the front desk agents fault. They just have to do what they are told. They should have paid for his first night elsewhere though because it was their fault for overbooking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jade89
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Usually if a hotel over sells they will first find rooms elsewhere for people who booked third party. Then they will work on making accommodations for guests who booked thru them as they arrive. Usually they take care of the first night. He should check with the original hotel, they should pay the first night and offer him breakfast or a dining credit for within the hotel

Quoting Roxygurl:

Straight through the hotel, I believe his company actually booked the room for him.

Quoting Jade89:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

if his room is reserved with a card- they have to hold it, if not

Jade89
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Exactly!

I HATED our reservations department! They would severely oversell the hotel and not give a shit bc they aren't the ones to deal with the guest when they arrive

Quoting ranawen:

As someone who works in a hotel and hates when the higher ups overbook the hotel because being the one who has had to walk a guest else where let me tell you it sucks for me as much as having to tell you i had to get you a room somewhere else. Hotels generally get oversold because there is a margine of no shows. They assume people are not going to show up. Its not the front desk agents fault. They just have to do what they are told. They should have paid for his first night elsewhere though because it was their fault for overbooking.

Jade89
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Not true

Quoting Anonymous:

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM
It was reserved with a card.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hargonagain
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Did he confirm it with a credit card?  If he did he better make sure they didn't charge his card for a no show! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured