Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My poor fiancé and a question about hotels

Posted by   + Show Post
He had to go out of town for work and his plane didn't land till 11pm and he made reservations at a hotel (Sheraton) and told them his plane doesn't land till 11.

Well he gets there last night and they had overbooked the hotel and didn't have a room for him, he was understandably pissed but luckily the 4 points Sheraton across the street had room.

So my question. Can they do that and how often do they do that? I can't imagine making a reservation for a hotel room and finding out they gave your room away especially when you need to be up in 7 hours to get to the office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM

wrong- the first ones to go are the ones that don't book with a credit card

Quoting Jade89:

Which is great for your husband, but had that hotel been over booked his room would NOT have been available. They would have relocated him to a different hotel upon arrival UNLESS he is a VIP member to their brand.

Quoting Anonymous:

if the company booked it- then it should be with the company card- therefore the room still should have been there. my hubby just had to go out of town this past monday, plane was late leaving here, then stuck at dallas for over three hrs- so they didn't get to the hotel til a little after midnight. room still there

Quoting Roxygurl:

Straight through the hotel, I believe his company actually booked the room for him.

Quoting Jade89:

I worked for the Sheraton New Orleans, I can tell ya, yes they can and will do that.

Did he book through a third party site or straight through the hotel?

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Please tell me what hotel allows you to book a room without a credit card? I have yet to find one.

And once again because you seem to have overlooked my responses to you. He DID book the room with a credit card and his room was still given away to someone else.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jade89:

Which is great for your husband, but had that hotel been over booked his room would NOT have been available. They would have relocated him to a different hotel upon arrival UNLESS he is a VIP member to their brand.

Quoting Anonymous:

if the company booked it- then it should be with the company card- therefore the room still should have been there. my hubby just had to go out of town this past monday, plane was late leaving here, then stuck at dallas for over three hrs- so they didn't get to the hotel til a little after midnight. room still there

Quoting Roxygurl:

Straight through the hotel, I believe his company actually booked the room for him.

Quoting Jade89:

I worked for the Sheraton New Orleans, I can tell ya, yes they can and will do that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jade89
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Wrong. The first to go are the ones who booked through certain 3rd party sites. Most of those are not guaranteed.

Like I said... Just bc you hold you room with a CC does NOT mean your room will be held if they are overbooked

Have you ever worked in a hotel? A MAJOR brand hotel?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jade89:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Jade89:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Sounds like he just said, ok and walked away.??

If that would ever happen again..he needs to let them know this is now their problem and they need to fix the situation ASAP.

He should probably call headquarters and talk to someone (or atleast the manager of the hotel) he should get comped the first night and they should have done everything to fix the situation.

Quoting Roxygurl:

No, he drove over there and asked. There is a chance they told them to be expecting him I don't know that but he went over there and was bitching about what happened and the lady gave him some sort of a discount though I have no clue what it was

Quoting twinmommy27:

Did they get him the room across the street?

If he's there for two days they should have given him a night free...

DH is an elite member with Hilton and Marriott though..so they have incentive not to piss him off. Lol

Quoting Roxygurl:

Nope. They gave him a discount though I'm not sure how much, he's only there for 2 nights.

Quoting twinmommy27:

It's never happened to us...DH is in hotels more then he's home.

Did they get the room for him across the street for free?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:55 AM
They do it because they had vacant rooms next door.
Hotels are greedy. Just like airlines. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM
He's in meetings right now but I when I talk to him later ill tell him that.

I think he was just livid and just walked away pissed. Which is something I probably would've done too.

This was the first time he's ever had the problem so It was a surprise and he will probably handle it differently if it ever happens again.

Quoting twinmommy27:

If that would ever happen again..he needs to let them know this is now their problem and they need to fix the situation ASAP.

He should probably call headquarters and talk to someone (or atleast the manager of the hotel) he should get comped the first night and they should have done everything to fix the situation.

Quoting Roxygurl:

No, he drove over there and asked. There is a chance they told them to be expecting him I don't know that but he went over there and was bitching about what happened and the lady gave him some sort of a discount though I have no clue what it was

Quoting twinmommy27:

DH is an elite member with Hilton and Marriott though..so they have incentive not to piss him off. Lol

Quoting Roxygurl:

Nope. They gave him a discount though I'm not sure how much, he's only there for 2 nights.

Quoting twinmommy27:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Does he pay to reserve the room? If not then it only makes business sense, first come first served, instead of holding a room for someone that might not show. I dont know how that all works though.
EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM
I agree. Hotels can offer MAJOR discounts and even free rooms. They owed it to your husband for the inconvenience.
(The squeaky wheel gets the grease)

Quoting twinmommy27:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting twinmommy27:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting twinmommy27:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM
He reserved the room with a credit card.

Quoting Anonymous:

Does he pay to reserve the room? If not then it only makes business sense, first come first served, instead of holding a room for someone that might not show. I dont know how that all works though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
puasaurusrex
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Are there even hotels that still allow you to book without a credit card?? Anway, I believe this only holds true if you are an "elite member" with some sort of higher status. They are more inclined to keep your room for you if they've overbooked because god knows how much money you've spent there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jade89:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Jade89:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)