Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My poor fiancé and a question about hotels

Posted by   + Show Post
He had to go out of town for work and his plane didn't land till 11pm and he made reservations at a hotel (Sheraton) and told them his plane doesn't land till 11.

Well he gets there last night and they had overbooked the hotel and didn't have a room for him, he was understandably pissed but luckily the 4 points Sheraton across the street had room.

So my question. Can they do that and how often do they do that? I can't imagine making a reservation for a hotel room and finding out they gave your room away especially when you need to be up in 7 hours to get to the office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Replies (41-50):
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM
How does one reserve a room without a credit card??
Seriously wondering.

Edit: sorry, I skipped over the last sentence. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Does he pay to reserve the room? If not then it only makes business sense, first come first served, instead of holding a room for someone that might not show. I dont know how that all works though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM
How would one reserve a hotel room without a credit card??

Are you talking about a hole in the wall that people go to have sex?

Quoting Anonymous:

wrong- the first ones to go are the ones that don't book with a credit card

Quoting Jade89:

Which is great for your husband, but had that hotel been over booked his room would NOT have been available. They would have relocated him to a different hotel upon arrival UNLESS he is a VIP member to their brand.

Quoting Anonymous:

if the company booked it- then it should be with the company card- therefore the room still should have been there. my hubby just had to go out of town this past monday, plane was late leaving here, then stuck at dallas for over three hrs- so they didn't get to the hotel til a little after midnight. room still there

Quoting Roxygurl:

Straight through the hotel, I believe his company actually booked the room for him.

Quoting Jade89:

I worked for the Sheraton New Orleans, I can tell ya, yes they can and will do that.

Did he book through a third party site or straight through the hotel?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Eewwee lol I just got this horrible mental image of a rent by the minute place.

Quoting twinmommy27:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jade89:

Which is great for your husband, but had that hotel been over booked his room would NOT have been available. They would have relocated him to a different hotel upon arrival UNLESS he is a VIP member to their brand.

Quoting Anonymous:

if the company booked it- then it should be with the company card- therefore the room still should have been there. my hubby just had to go out of town this past monday, plane was late leaving here, then stuck at dallas for over three hrs- so they didn't get to the hotel til a little after midnight. room still there

Quoting Roxygurl:

Straight through the hotel, I believe his company actually booked the room for him.

Quoting Jade89:

I worked for the Sheraton New Orleans, I can tell ya, yes they can and will do that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lullabylily
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM
How did your DH reserve the hotel. if its online then Sheraton has no right to cancel the reservation but if its by phone then you are oblige to check in before the cut of time. The most common cut of time for late check-in are usually at 6pm. If the hotel do not have your credit card detail and you did not call on the day of check in to confirm your arrival then they usually cancel your reservation.

I travel a lot. I spend at least 1 night/week away from home. If you travel alot then you should get a membership of the hotel chain (if its Sheraton then it should be Sheraton club or starwood preffered guest), its free and its gets you points and priority treatment so it can secure your reservation. I am lucky, The company where I work for has a corporate account in major hotels chains and with a guaratee letter I never lost any hotel reservation (unless someone screw up the date).

FYI: if you are pissed, write something about the hotel in Tripadvisor. A bad review will result in follow up and freebies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I've never reserved a hotel room. I've reserved a seat on a train and they held it with basic info for 3 days but my mom never went and paid for it. That is where my mind went.

Quoting twinmommy27:

How does one reserve a room without a credit card??
Seriously wondering.

Edit: sorry, I skipped over the last sentence. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Does he pay to reserve the room? If not then it only makes business sense, first come first served, instead of holding a room for someone that might not show. I dont know how that all works though.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I'm not sure how it was reserved but most likely it was reserved online and through the company. I won't say the name but its a well known oil company.

I spoke to him for about 5 minutes last night when he was still pissed so I just listened and didn't ask many questions. When I talked to him this morning he was headed to the office and again we only spoke for a couple minutes so I haven't had a chance to talk to him more about what happened.

Quoting lullabylily:

How did your DH reserve the hotel. if its online then Sheraton has no right to cancel the reservation but if its by phone then you are oblige to check in before the cut of time. The most common cut of time for late check-in are usually at 6pm. If the hotel do not have your credit card detail and you did not call on the day of check in to confirm your arrival then they usually cancel your reservation.

I travel a lot. I spend at least 1 night/week away from home. If you travel alot then you should get a membership of the hotel chain (if its Sheraton then it should be Sheraton club or starwood preffered guest), its free and its gets you points and priority treatment so it can secure your reservation. I am lucky, The company where I work for has a corporate account in major hotels chains and with a guaratee letter I never lost any hotel reservation (unless someone screw up the date).

FYI: if you are pissed, write something about the hotel in Tripadvisor. A bad review will result in follow up and freebies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Because people make reservations and never show up, there's also overnighters. People who show up without a reservation and stay the night. It happens a lot.

Once we had a prediction of 10 checkouts, well a band (they were playing a show for the troops on base) showed up for the night and there was suddenly 50 checkouts that night.

Things like that do happen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I always make sure that I call and guarantee it for late arrival. And I call when we are on our way to the hotel. We had this issue last week when we went to Connecticut.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM
People do that at the hotel I work at, and it's no hole in the wall. It's a little over $100 a night.

Those rooms are always scary by the way. Never know what you will find in the sheets, under the bed skirts and such.

Quoting twinmommy27:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jade89:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Jade89:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM

yes there are lots of hotels that do not require a card - however it is best to reserve with one.  i don't why some on here think they can't

Quoting puasaurusrex:

Are there even hotels that still allow you to book without a credit card?? Anway, I believe this only holds true if you are an "elite member" with some sort of higher status. They are more inclined to keep your room for you if they've overbooked because god knows how much money you've spent there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jade89:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Jade89:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN