Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

GREY or GRAY???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
How do you spell this color???

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Replies (71-80):
Caitlinsmom09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Grey
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
summerbear
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Gray.

Grey is a name, imo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Gray
JMmomof2
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Gray is a color
Grey is a name
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Lol

Quoting HarleyMom4599:

Lol I just had this debate with myself (Yes, myself alone) and wound up changing my entire sentence around to avoid it :)

TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Grey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Grey. I'm in Ireland
LectioDivina
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Which is correct, the "grey" or "gray" spelling? 

ShareThis

Have you often wondered "Am I spelling g-r-e-y correctly...or is it g-r-a-y?". How do you spell the color grey or gray? Well, the answer is they are both correct. There are two acceptable spellings. Gray is used primarily in the United States and other areas that use US English. Grey is used in Great Britain and areas that use UK English.

The only exceptions to these rules are:

1. Proper nouns such as a last name; Earl Grey and Zane Grey would not be spelled Gray and L.H. Gray must be always be spelled Gray.

2. Greyhound as in the dog breed.

3. Food irradiation (quantity of radiation energy absorbed by the food as it passes through the radiation field during processing). 1 Gray = 0.001 kGy = 1 joule of energy absorbed per kilogram of food irradiated.

When all else fails..

grAy is how it's spelled in America 
grEy is how it's spelled in England

"Is it grey or gray?" is likely one of the most frequently asked questions in regards to common misspellings, however there are many other commonly misspelled words related to regional differences. In most cases American spellings seem to be a bit more phonetic. Here's a handy chart.

TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM
From Wikipedia

I say grey and I'm Canadian

The first recorded use of grey as a color name in the English language was in AD 700.[2]Grey is the British, Canadian, Australian, Irish, New Zealand and South African spelling, although gray remained in common usage in the UK until the second half of the 20th century.[3]Gray is the preferred American spelling, although grey is an accepted variant.[4][5]Gray became the preferred spelling in American English around 1825.[6]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Both are correct, "grey" is the UK spelling and the one I prefer. I really don't trust my fellow Americans with the English language..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)