Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i hate this, i wish i could quit right now, this second, but i can't.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

when i started working here i was optamistic, i had heard many bad things but chalked it up to angry employees who had lost their jobs for whatever reason.

i came in, re vamped the menu and tried very hard to get local custom back.

i work alone, as chef, waitress and booking agent, we do mostly confrences, the reputation of the place is beyond repair localy, and i now know why.

i get yelled at for throwing out spoiled foods, spoiled meat, vegetables and dairy. wtf am i supposed to do with it?! i can't serve it, but he wants me to!!! are you kidding me?! he wanted to put cottage cheese over 2 weeks past its best before date in the lasagna. SERIOUSLY? NO! 

omg. today we had a conference in, soup, salad, sandwich buffet, i had it all ready to go, no problem here, but due to how slow it has been was not expecting much else.

a couple comes in, the rich snobby type, he wants a pizza, she wants a clubhouse. clubhouse takes 5 min, pizza takes longer, obviously. 

go to make the clubhouse and pull out the back bacon we use, there is black fucking mold on it. 2 packages had been pulled, now i will yelled at that they went bad. they had only been in the cooler for 2 days. frozen before that.

so i improvise. and i go to make the pizza.....the pepperoni has turned since yesterday, had to slice more, mushrooms no good. omg. pizza sauce, moldy. had to open a new one. you name it. it took me forever to get that damn pizza in the over. mr and mrs snobby mcsnobberson are bitching about the wait. 

i can't explain that due to my boss' refusal to let me tos anything unless it looks like a science experiment gone wrong has hampered my ability to put good food out quickly. 

got the woman her clubhouse she dismantled it. i know everything on it was fresh. i feel insulted. 

oh and my boss runs an "international boarding school" out of his house, it is nothing like what the website suggests. he has 2 chinese boys living with him, he feeds them the spoiled food from the resturaunt. he gives me shit if i try to feed them something freshly made. they paid $30,000 tuition FOR WHAT?! he makes them do push ups if they speak their natural language, chinese.

oh and he has been trying to find a replacement from china to take my place. now he is all pissed off because immigration laws have changed and you can no longer charge extortianat fees to ensure someone a job in canada. now it will not be as lucrative to bring a chinese woman over to take my place cooking. 

my babysitter goes to vancouvar tomorrow to participate in a thespian event, and i had to beg my boss to give me an advance so i could pay her before she leaves. 

finally cuts me a cheque today, but refuses to let me leave early so i can get to the bank in time to cash it. now i have to drive 80km to the city where the nearest bank machine for my bank is. and then 80 km back.

i hate this place. i hate this place, i hate my boss, he is a slimy pos. 

i am being pulled from work to be put on sick leave in 6 more weeks....6 more weeks...can i handle 6 more weeks? 

oh and the boss keeps all the tips from confrences. although i do all the cooking, serving and cleaning myself. i watched him pocket MY $70 TIP yesterday, nevermind all the tips he has pocketed since i started here. 

i am 4 1/2 mo pregnant, and i am so depressed, tired, over worked and stressed right out. omg. i hate this job. i hate this place. i hate my boss.

**cries*

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I agree.  Someone could end up very sick or DEAD from the stuff you described.  Don't wait, please.

Quoting tyner_brylee:

Don't wait to do this. Do it now. Turn your boss in. He's a dumb fck!

Quoting Anonymous:

this is such bullshit. as soon as i am gone from here, as soon as i am on sick leave i will be making calls. board of education, hello? hi i need to tell you something...... immigration? hi yeah you should know that this company has been preying on immigrants....health inspector?! heeeyyyyy, we need to talk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM

of course we do. i try my best to keep everything clean, but he refuses to allow me to throw out bad food, i got sick of being dressed down and yelled at and just gave up tossing it until it is truly nasty. but i won't serve it! if he gets shut down because i call, and i lose my job, does that count as a lay off? i quit? what? i need to have as many hours as i can for EI.

Quoting OkieMommyOf6:

sounds like he needs to be shut down. does canada have a health food inspection agency?? where they come in and inspect the food and how the place is being run and if it too unsanitary it gets shut down.

Meghan6391
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you say cottage cheese in lasagna
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM

thats really horrible.   since he wants rid of you anyways i would call the health dept and tell them who i am but to keep it secret from him,  tell about his practices of food.   then i would call child services and tell them about how he treats the children and feeds them rotten food.   i would set his life on fire.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:19 PM

i work here the most, but he come sin daily to check on things. i WILL NOT use food which has gone bad, i usually either just walk past it and grab fresh, tell the customer "i am sorry but we don't have any _____ right now" or bad as it sounds, box it up and send it home with him. i WILL NOT feed people gross food. but once i am gone, or when i am not working...i don't know

this is such bullshit. as soon as i am gone from here, as soon as i am on sick leave i will be making calls. board of education, hello? hi i need to tell you something...... immigration? hi yeah you should know that this company has been preying on immigrants....health inspector?! heeeyyyyy, we need to talk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM

they are teens and early twenties, international students, i see them as "kids" because i am "old" but they are not little children. and trust me, i plan on setting his life on fire....

Quoting AmaliaD:

thats really horrible.   since he wants rid of you anyways i would call the health dept and tell them who i am but to keep it secret from him,  tell about his practices of food.   then i would call child services and tell them about how he treats the children and feeds them rotten food.   i would set his life on fire.

OkieMommyOf6
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:29 PM

i think you can put in anonomous tip so there is no way for the owner to find out. and if he gets shut down i wouldnt think it would affect you. honestly i think i would try to find something else to do until you get put on leave by your dr.

Quoting Anonymous:

of course we do. i try my best to keep everything clean, but he refuses to allow me to throw out bad food, i got sick of being dressed down and yelled at and just gave up tossing it until it is truly nasty. but i won't serve it! if he gets shut down because i call, and i lose my job, does that count as a lay off? i quit? what? i need to have as many hours as i can for EI.

Quoting OkieMommyOf6:

sounds like he needs to be shut down. does canada have a health food inspection agency?? where they come in and inspect the food and how the place is being run and if it too unsanitary it gets shut down.

beerebelly
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

WTF? Call kitchen nightmares.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM

If you box it up and send it home with him, he is feeding it to those students.  Also, these things can take a little bit of time.  You could be out of that place for weeks before it gets shutdown, meanwhile people are eating poison.  And on any days/hours you don't work, guess what is being served?

If you "blow the whistle" it can't be held against you.  

And, as a pregnant woman I am sure you are aware the dangers of foodborne illnesses on a pregnancy...Rotten soft cheeses are a breeding ground for listeria.  And listeria can contaminate other foods simply by the container being opened.  If he is SERVING these rotten milk products and processed foods such as pepperonis, then it is getting on utensils, counters, etc.  I'm betting he isn't stringent about properly santizing surfaces and changing gloves.  A less scrupulous worker would open that rotten item, toss it, but leave on the gloves and contaminate the batch of fresh goods by doing so.

Listeria can be found in soil, which can lead to vegetable contamination. Animals can also be carriers. Listeria has been found in uncooked meats, uncooked vegetables, fruit such as cantaloupes,[4]pasteurized or unpasteurized milk, foods made from milk, and processed foods. Pasteurization and sufficient cooking kill Listeria; however, contamination may occur after cooking and before packaging. For example, meat-processing plants producing ready-to-eat foods, such as hot dogs and deli meats, must follow extensive sanitation policies and procedures to prevent Listeria contamination.[5] Listeria monocytogenes is commonly found in soil, stream water, sewage, plants, and food.[6] Listeria is responsible for listeriosis, a rare but potentially lethal food-borne infection. The case fatality rate for those with a severe form of infection may approach 25%.[7] (Salmonella, in comparison, has a mortality rate estimated at less than 1%.[8]) Although Listeria monocytogenes has low infectivity, it is hardy and can grow in temperatures from 4 °C (39.2 °F) (the temperature of a refrigerator), to 37 °C (98.6 °F), (the body's internal temperature).[6] Listeriosis is a serious illness, and the disease may manifest as meningitis, or affect newborns due to its ability to penetrate the endothelial layer of the placenta.[7]

Quoting Anonymous:

i work here the most, but he come sin daily to check on things. i WILL NOT use food which has gone bad, i usually either just walk past it and grab fresh, tell the customer "i am sorry but we don't have any _____ right now" or bad as it sounds, box it up and send it home with him. i WILL NOT feed people gross food. but once i am gone, or when i am not working...i don't know

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I'm so sorry :(. I hope things get better for you! DF used to be a chef..a damn good one. He knew a lot about running resteraunts too. He went to school for it. Well, one place he worked were idiots and he told them "listen, if you dont' change the things you're going to go out of a business in a few years." He also asked for a raise because of how much he brought to the place.

Eventually, he left. They shutdown a year later--just like he said they would. It's a really hard job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured