Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Okay, I called the nurse hotline and they have yet to call me back, it has been 3hrs since my first initial call and every thirty minutes thereafter. I am running out of hope of getting info from them. Anyway, my twins are running fevers. One was 103.7 the other was 102.6. I have given them tylenol, baths, and dressed them in light clothing. Fevers are down to 100.3 for both, is there anything else I can do for my little guys? I am keeping them hydrated and everything. I honestly do not see it as an ER emergency, please correct me if I am wrong on this but I was always told that 104 was the red zone and when you rushed to the hospital. Thank you all in advance for your help!

Photobucket 

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Even at 104, you do not need to take them to the er unless lethargic, etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just keep doin what your doin, unless it reaches 104 then take them to th ER.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM
What are their other symptoms?
babylove041810
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
You could keep washing them down with a cool rag. You're not supposed to bathe them you could put their bodies into shock. I am in school for nursing. You can also give them Tylenol 15-20 min early. Try alternating that with ibuprofen/Motrin if the Tylenol isn't doing well on it's own. If the fever gets up to 104 though go to the er.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy425906
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I have found that Motrin (Ibuprofen) works better for fevers at times. My DS was running a fever and Tylenol didn't help at all. I gave him Ibuprofen and that knocked it way down.

bellaamore
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM

If it has lowered, it is fine until morning, but you should call the pediatrician and alert him tonight. 

If your twins are under  three months, you should worry, otherwise, let the fever do what it is meant to.

lullabylily
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM
This.
My DD is also having a fever right now. At 103.6 she's still playing with her brother. You did everything that is necessary. My doctor usually request a blood test if the fever persist for 3 x 24 hours

Quoting Anonymous:

Let the fever do its job. If its high for 3 days go to the ER.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywright88
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:48 PM

One I can tell is feeling a little bad, but still pretty happy. The other doesn't even know he is running a fever. They are both drinking okay. I have been giving them pineapple juice because that is what my Mom always gave me. They ate fine too. The only other symptom has been a cough. I am ready to not freak out anymore lol. I have read way to many horror storries so I guess I over react to a degree.

Quoting monkeyrhea:

My boys have both had fevers of 104 and acted perfectly fine. The ped said that they didn't need to bee seen unless they were lethargic or dehydrated. It is really more of how they are acting than it is the number on the themometer. I typically don't even give meds for a fever unless it is closer to 102 unless they are complaining of something hurting. How are they behaving? Still playing and walking around? Drinking? I know how scary they can be, but once you go through it a few times it will be no big deal anymore :)

Photobucket 

JocelynsMama1
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM

your right its not ER necessary...but if you can't get their fever lower with tylenol then alternate the tylenol with motrin ever 2-3 hours...and that will work but everything else your doing is great

AshleyBDG
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM
You're doing everything right. You can give Tylenol every 4 hrs and ibuprofen every 6hrs you can alternate if the fever is difficult to get down but usually Tylenol works. Luke warm baths, cool drinks and light clothing. I don't usually treat a fever until its close to 101 and if they're uncomfortable because the fever is the body's way of fighting off the bug. Also I don't take them in unless the fever persists over 3 days or of it accompanies other more serious symptoms. For colds if they're coughing in the night interrupts their sleep that's my rule of thumb the pedi gave me as to when it warrants a visit to the dr. good luck hope it's just viral and passes soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Well my kids doctor has always told me to take them to the ER when temperature reaches 104.

Better safe than sorry!

Quoting Anonymous:

Even at 104, you do not need to take them to the er unless lethargic, etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just keep doin what your doin, unless it reaches 104 then take them to th ER.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN