Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Okay, I called the nurse hotline and they have yet to call me back, it has been 3hrs since my first initial call and every thirty minutes thereafter. I am running out of hope of getting info from them. Anyway, my twins are running fevers. One was 103.7 the other was 102.6. I have given them tylenol, baths, and dressed them in light clothing. Fevers are down to 100.3 for both, is there anything else I can do for my little guys? I am keeping them hydrated and everything. I honestly do not see it as an ER emergency, please correct me if I am wrong on this but I was always told that 104 was the red zone and when you rushed to the hospital. Thank you all in advance for your help!

Photobucket 

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Replies (21-28):
monkeyrhea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Oh...I know how you feel. The first time my oldest had a temp of 104 I freaked!! When the pedi told me he was fine I was just beside myself. haha!  I will be honest though and say that if it gets higher than the 104 I start to get nervous. My youngest has actually had a fever of 105.6 and the hospital just acted like it was no big deal. Meanwhile, I was shaking like a leaf and certain my poor baby was dying. He was just fine though :)

Quoting ashleywright88:

One I can tell is feeling a little bad, but still pretty happy. The other doesn't even know he is running a fever. They are both drinking okay. I have been giving them pineapple juice because that is what my Mom always gave me. They ate fine too. The only other symptom has been a cough. I am ready to not freak out anymore lol. I have read way to many horror storries so I guess I over react to a degree.

Quoting monkeyrhea:

My boys have both had fevers of 104 and acted perfectly fine. The ped said that they didn't need to bee seen unless they were lethargic or dehydrated. It is really more of how they are acting than it is the number on the themometer. I typically don't even give meds for a fever unless it is closer to 102 unless they are complaining of something hurting. How are they behaving? Still playing and walking around? Drinking? I know how scary they can be, but once you go through it a few times it will be no big deal anymore :)

AshleyBDG
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Just so you know you still have to wait 4 hrs between the tylenol and the Motrin is every 6. Every 2-3hrs is an overdose. Please don't alternate that close together. Overdosage of these can cause damage to the liver and kidneys. I'm not trying to be snotty I'm an RN and just for safety wanted you to know in case you didn't, even things seemingly safe as tylenol and Motrin can still cause damage especially to small immature bodies at higher than recommended dosages.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

your right its not ER necessary...but if you can't get their fever lower with tylenol then alternate the tylenol with motrin ever 2-3 hours...and that will work but everything else your doing is great

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brvdsmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM

how old are they? I don't mess around with a fever, I know everyone says it's ok just to medicate, but my daughter had ecoli bacteria which caused a kidney infection when she was about 6 weeks old. If I had waited and did the tylenol/motrin thing, the doctor said it would have gotten into her blood stream and been way worse than what it was.

JocelynsMama1
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

you have to wait 4 hours between the first does of tylenol and the second dose of tylenol and then 6 hours between the first dose of motrin and the second dose of motrin..you don't have to wait anytime between one does of tylenol and one dose of motrin if a fever is high enough they will give you both at the same time in the ER....thats why i said 2-3 hours between the 2 so that by the second dose of the same medicine it would be spread out enough...im not an idiot i dont over dose my child but that is exactly how the ER or a ped will tell you to do it....i didnt say give tylenol every 2 to 3 hours or give motrin every 2-3 hours....you alternate them they are 2 different types of medicine

Quoting AshleyBDG:

Just so you know you still have to wait 4 hrs between the tylenol and the Motrin is every 6. Every 2-3hrs is an overdose. Please don't alternate that close together. Overdosage of these can cause damage to the liver and kidneys. I'm not trying to be snotty I'm an RN and just for safety wanted you to know in case you didn't, even things seemingly safe as tylenol and Motrin can still cause damage especially to small immature bodies at higher than recommended dosages.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

your right its not ER necessary...but if you can't get their fever lower with tylenol then alternate the tylenol with motrin ever 2-3 hours...and that will work but everything else your doing is great

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

AshleyBDG
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:29 PM
I do understand that, I just wanted to make sure you did, since it wasn't worded very well. No need to get nasty- I wasn't being nasty and I never said you were an idiot although there are many on this website you must admit. Like I said I'm a nurse and used to work pediatrics and you'd be surprised how many people do that or misunderstand correct dosing.
Quoting JocelynsMama1:

you have to wait 4 hours between the first does of tylenol and the second dose of tylenol and then 6 hours between the first dose of motrin and the second dose of motrin..you don't have to wait anytime between one does of tylenol and one dose of motrin if a fever is high enough they will give you both at the same time in the ER....thats why i said 2-3 hours between the 2 so that by the second dose of the same medicine it would be spread out enough...im not an idiot i dont over dose my child but that is exactly how the ER or a ped will tell you to do it....i didnt say give tylenol every 2 to 3 hours or give motrin every 2-3 hours....you alternate them they are 2 different types of medicine

Quoting AshleyBDG:

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JocelynsMama1
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I don't know how I could have worded it any differently but hopefully she can figure it out from reading our convo because we are clearly agreeing :) and sorry for getting defensive....I'm sure there are several parents who don't pay attention to dosing directions...im the exact opposite I follow them to the T and avoid all medications if we don't abolutely need them....i've only had to alternate meds on my dd once and that was because she had H1N1 and a very high fever that would stay down for anything

Quoting AshleyBDG:

I do understand that, I just wanted to make sure you did, since it wasn't worded very well. No need to get nasty- I wasn't being nasty and I never said you were an idiot although there are many on this website you must admit. Like I said I'm a nurse and used to work pediatrics and you'd be surprised how many people do that or misunderstand correct dosing.
Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting AshleyBDG:

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

HelloSweetie
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Yep. This. My little girl had a fever of 103 yesterday, it broke last night and she's been all over the place today.

Quoting Anonymous:

Let the fever do its job. If its high for 3 days go to the ER.

ashleywright88
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Just wanted to let you and the other girl know, I know how to alternate medication. We had to do it when they had the flu once before. :) Thank you though for all of your input and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it. Their fevers are down and have been for about two hours. I set up the humidifier and they are out for the night. 

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

I don't know how I could have worded it any differently but hopefully she can figure it out from reading our convo because we are clearly agreeing :) and sorry for getting defensive....I'm sure there are several parents who don't pay attention to dosing directions...im the exact opposite I follow them to the T and avoid all medications if we don't abolutely need them....i've only had to alternate meds on my dd once and that was because she had H1N1 and a very high fever that would stay down for anything

Quoting AshleyBDG:

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting AshleyBDG:

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Photobucket 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN