Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How can people justify taking PA...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 268 Replies
5 moms liked this

when they smoke?

I can't fathom asking for help with my finances if I was burning up hundreds or thousands of dollars a year in cigarettes. How you can claim the only way to feed your kids is for someone else to give them food when you smoke a pack a day or more?

I work with kids living in poverty and just about every single parent asking for help smells like a damn chimney. When I got to houses I see recycle cans and trash cans full of beer cans and liquor bottles. But these kids believe their parents don't have cash to buy them food or clothes. It's such a vicious cycle. 

Edit: For the record, I don't understand how anyone can justify spending money on cigarettes. But the when people don't cut out these things in a financial crisis it sends their children the wrong message about wants vs. needs. It perpetuates the cycle of poverty that is damaging communities all over this country. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blue_elephant
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM
5 moms liked this
I don't know for the 2 months I received cash assistance I quit smoking because I needed diapers more
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

That's so pathetic and sad. Poverty is a cycle, like you said, and most people don't know how to end it. They simply grow up thinking that way and never get ahead. Some do, and they are that much stronger for it. 

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

COULDN'T AGREE MORE!

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh!! I know!! Its RIDICULOUS!!! Cigarettes are NOT necessary to sustain LIFE!! FOOD IS necessary to sustain life!! Pretty simple concept really!!!

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM

banging head into wall

TSNDDY
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM
I have no idea, only families I knew that received assistance both had parents with drinking, smoking, pot and gambling problems. Seriously what a waste of money. Poor kids went to friends houses to eat, wore old gross clothes & the parents went out all the time :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting AubreeGrace17:

That's so pathetic and sad. Poverty is a cycle, like you said, and most people don't know how to end it. They simply grow up thinking that way and never get ahead. Some do, and they are that much stronger for it. 

The cycle is what's killing me. 

My grandmother starved during the depression. She lost all her teeth in her twenties because of malnutrition. She took care of her kids and they never went without because she busted her ass and prioritized. 

But so many kids grow up knowing that if they can't provide someone will. They have no drive or even idea that things should be different. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Where are all the smoking PA moms?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Angelicembrace:

banging head into wall

Are you banging your head over the post, or the problem?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN