Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did your kid learn to dress him/herself?

Posted by   + Show Post
My DD started putting forth a good effort around the time that she was two. She was very independent and would insist on doing it by herself.

My DS is 2 and 5 mos and is just beginning to assert his independence and try it himself. Moreso than getting dressed, he wants to undress. DD was the opposite and wanted to dress herself before she attempted to learn to undress herself.

I'm just looking for an average age range and of the child attempted to dress or undress him/herself first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
lambdarose
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:21 AM

she was putting on shoes before getting dressed.  She started to undress herself and partially dress herself at around 2 1/2 but by 3 and even now at 3 1/2 she can undress and dress pretty much on her own.  she has a hard time sometimes with the tops but it depends on the top.  she is very independant and hardly wants me to help her.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Totally 100% on his own? 3

With minimal help? A little over 2
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lady_In_Ink
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM
My four year old does, has been for about six months. My two year old is beginning to try, and my five year old is still working on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM

DS is 3.5 and he is just now starting to want to. He can undress himself with no problems but he has not quite mastered dressing himself.

He can put a shirt on but not pants, he can sort of put socks on, he can put shoes on. He can put his coat on but still has trouble pulling his underwear and pants up.

mybabysmama35
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I think both of my girls were 2 or 3. 

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM

around a year and a half to two.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM

My daughter started dressing herself when she was about 19 months

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM

It's not something I've encouraged. My 4 year old puts his socks on lol

My DD7 dresses herself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:23 AM
2 years old. I have five kids and they are all about 2 years apart so learned independance early on.
mariesmama
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:24 AM

my 3 yr old has undressed herself for about a yr shes now starting to aquire the skills to dress herself

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)