Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did your kid learn to dress him/herself?

Posted by   + Show Post
My DD started putting forth a good effort around the time that she was two. She was very independent and would insist on doing it by herself.

My DS is 2 and 5 mos and is just beginning to assert his independence and try it himself. Moreso than getting dressed, he wants to undress. DD was the opposite and wanted to dress herself before she attempted to learn to undress herself.

I'm just looking for an average age range and of the child attempted to dress or undress him/herself first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Replies (121-130):
RetiredUSAFWife
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I wouldn't even worry about it till they're five. It really depends on the child. Some can do it some can't it's that simple. All of our children took off their clothes before they were two years old, especially shoes. I'd always help them to get dressed, especially when we were on our way somewhere and in a rush. Some children will do it sooner than others. Just let them be children, they've got plenty of time to grow up. Once childhood is gone it's gone.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM
calsmom62
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Buy things that generally match or complement each other, have stretchy waist bands , keep appropriate to the season clothing accessible, and or give kids choices between 2-3 items, and getting dressed independently will be less stressful as early 2 or so..even with this strategy I had one child who wore a spiderman costume almost daily even to preschool.
MichelleNShane
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:56 PM
My daughter is a year old and already takes her shirt off by herself.
Gwendlite
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM

My daughter was 4 when she was able to put pants and a shirt on but still needed my help with buttons (still does, and she just turned 6), my son just turned 4, and I still have to help him with everything except his socks and slip on shoes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I'd say around 3.5. They're 4 now and they may not be coordinated or matching, but I'm okay with it. I stressed over my oldest looking all cute. I'm over it. They still look cute. Uniquely cute.
TCain0001
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:29 PM

This, but my youngest daughter.

Quoting JLah:

Before 2 He could 100% dress himself.

AnAngelsKiss
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1st- 16mo/ 2nd 2.5yo/ 3rd 2yo
SarahsAMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM

My son is far from the average. He's 5 years old and just now dressing and undressing himself

azeventdiva
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM

My oldest was just over a year when she started TRYING to dress herself. But, she was WAY early on everything (walking/running at 8mo, potty training at a year, etc). Child 2 & 3 preferred to be naked all the time, and didn't want to get dressed, but would strip clothes off within seconds of being home from anywhere by the time they were 2. Didn't start dressing themselves & keeping clothes on till about 3.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN