Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did your kid learn to dress him/herself?

Posted by   + Show Post
My DD started putting forth a good effort around the time that she was two. She was very independent and would insist on doing it by herself.

My DS is 2 and 5 mos and is just beginning to assert his independence and try it himself. Moreso than getting dressed, he wants to undress. DD was the opposite and wanted to dress herself before she attempted to learn to undress herself.

I'm just looking for an average age range and of the child attempted to dress or undress him/herself first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Replies (131-140):
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:55 PM

DD may end up a stripper, because she could take off just about any clothes way before 2. That girl can get nekkid like nobody's business :-)

I think it was a little over 2 that she started wanting to try to dress herself. Whether she needed help depended on the kind of clothes...if it was all stretchy stuff she could pull on, she was great, but buttons and zippers and small snaps took longer.

She's now 5, and proudly dresses herself every morning, including picking her clothes.  Last Friday, she chose a short magnenta and white flowered dress, light blue and white flowered shorts (a different floral pattern) and a pink and purple striped sweatshirt. Seriously.  I figure as long as it is weather-appropriate, it's her body and she can choose...though I can't help making some suggestions about things that go together...usually ignored.

ivy801
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

My has always been a fast undresser, she would undress herself at age of 2, getting dress by herself was a fight, she just started wanting to do it herself and she is 6. This little girl had helpers at school who would take off her coat and button her up for pick up. I had a long talk wit her and told her she nees to start doing things for herself and not let the other kids help her.

ginger813
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I think my girls were somewhere between 2 and 3 (I don't remember exactly). My ds just turned 2 in September, and he can undress himself. He kind of tries to dress himself, but isn't very good at it yet. 

MamaKarrot
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Both of my kids were around 2 or 2 1/2 when they started getting dressed on their own

NicholasMama608
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:33 PM

My 4 1/2yr old son is still learning how to do it all and can't do socks and needs help snapping.  He tries really hard to remember that the tag goes in back.  :)

LittlePiggies5
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM

my dd was 2

LilynAustin
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Actually doing it correctly...2 1/2.  :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Men always need women to dress them....my husband can't put an outfit together to save his life.  I pick his clothes and DS's clothes.

uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Both of my girls were very independent and tried to dress themselves and undress themselves at age 1... I would stop them and I have a 28 month old now who goes behind me and takes off her clothes and puts on what she wants to wear, and I let her until we have to go somewhere and then it is back to what I want her to wear... my oldest is six, she dresses herself, she folds her own pants and jammies, and hangs her shirts up, and I still dress my two year old but she still puts on what she wants to put on around the house...

Each child is different and they will learn and do things on their own level and there is nothing wrong with that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marihla
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Because of the work that I do, I start very early. Before 18 months they put their toes in their shoes and zip up the zippers that I started for them. By two they dress themselves from head to toe (but still need help with starting the zippers and buttoning buttons.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN